Smoking!!!!!!

Nodak7mm

Who all rolls and smokes their own?

I just finished my new smoker and it works great, done some bird and pig, mmmmhhh!! Built it large enough to easily do 50 lbs at shot.... Now I am ready for sausage season...

IMG_1875-1.jpg

Nodak

I use the convenience of a wood pellet smoker/grill. Plug it in, set the temp, go do something else. Just like Grandpa's smoke house, but without the hassle.
db

You did a great job on your smoker.I just made me some pecan smoked boneless wild boar ham and some pecan smoked whitetail tenderloin and backstrap.I used Morton's Tenderquick Curing Salt and let me tell you they came out awesome.I used 1/2 oz. per lb. of meat.Dissolved the salt cure in a cup of water,used an injection needle and injected the meat,this helps get the curing process started on the inside.I then put the meat in a large plastic bag and poured the cure solution on the meat.Make sure the meat gets mixed around good so the cure can go to work on the outside.I keep the meat iced down in the bags for 2-3 days,then I rinse the meat and let it soak for several hours in fresh water to help remove the excess salt.I repeat the fresh water rinse and soak three times and it's OK to let it soak overnight.I've found that soaking the meat three times gives me a light salt taste where soaking the meat twice will give you a fairly salty taste.So it's really a matter of how you like yours.When I get ready to smoke it,I take the meat out of the bags,run some butcher twine through the meat so I can hang it in the smoker,then sprinkle the outside of the meat with med. ground black pepper.I set my smoker temp at 130-140 degrees,hang the meat and smoke for two hours at this temp.After two hours I quit the smoke,but kick the temp up to around 160 degrees for two hours.Then after the two hours at 160 degrees,I kick the heat up to 180-185 degrees for round eight hours,depending on how thick your meat is(I use boneless meat around a couple of inches thick).Anyway,just keep it at this temp till you reach your desired dryness.After your drying is complete,take meat out of the smoker and let it cool.Wrap the cooled meat in butcher paper and store in the refridgerator for a day or two if you have room,if not just go ahead and freeze what your not going to eat now.

Sweet smoker. I have a trager wood pellet smoker. Works great. My old smoker had a wood fire box - you had to spend a fair amount of time tending it. New one set the temp and she goes. Its really cut back the beer drinking though.

I'm setting up to do some elk jerky this weekend. I use the teryaki jerky packet from sportsman's warehouse - forgot the name, along with extra soy sauce and jalapenos for a little kick. My jerky used to get pretty black in the smoker, so now I run it a few hours in the ronco dehydrator first until it stiffens up a bit, then finish in the smoker. It gets properly cured/dried this way and a generous amount of smokey flavor without being scorched. To even out the moisture level, I remove the jerky from the smoker and vacuum seal with the food saver into small portions. The vaccuum sealer evens out the flavor and moisture level.

Try it!

I have been smoking my fish for over 30 years now. I found when it comes to a real good brine use Apple juice and float an egg. that if the brine you use is cider it gets real sweet.
Never close the vent, your fish will have the texture of smoked mashed potatoes.
I let the vent stay open no more than 1/4%.
never be afraid of mixing wood, but when you smoke a turkey go Hickory.
I love smoking cornish game hens..I ues Apple and mix my wood with Maple and Apple.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.