smokeless muzzleloaders

bw814

for you guys shooting smokeless muzzleloaders how do you when your pressure is getting to hot if your trying different powders ?

I'm just getting into the game after many years of using sabots, BP and substitutes. Actually I'm waiting on a build which should be very close. I'm ready to start sizing bullets, of which I have 500 of to start. I'll be shooting 3 different smokeless propellants that have been recommended by the builder, plus shoot BH209.
I'd highly suggest you take the advice of the person who manufacturers your/a rifle and stay away from "experimenting". Join either or both of the smokeless sites (Doug's - Hanks). If you're on FB, then join the Smokeless Muzzleloader Shooters Group. Guys in all those sites have been at this since the beginning and know their stuff.

I'm just getting into the game after many years of using sabots, BP and substitutes. Actually I'm waiting on a build which should be very close. I'm ready to start sizing bullets, of which I have 500 of to start. I'll be shooting 3 different smokeless propellants that have been recommended by the builder, plus shoot BH209.
I'd highly suggest you take the advice of the person who manufacturers your/a rifle and stay away from "experimenting". Join either or both of the smokeless sites (Doug's - Hanks). If you're on FB, then join the Smokeless Muzzleloader Shooters Group. Guys in all those sites have been at this since the beginning and know their stuff.

This is wrote spot on both sites are good sources. Depending on who's breech plug and primer setup you're using primers will still show pressure but the best way is with a pressure trace from what I understand.

I like the 700 SA centerfire action or the 700 ML action because there are fewer load limitations compared to most other builds and their are countless options for trigger, stock and other upgrades. Assuming you are in Iowa, the .45 cal would be my recommendation regardless of your gun of choice. A smaller caliber would be fun to try, but since they are not legal in Iowa, I will probably never own one.

• Hanks and Doug's are where the info is at. They both have pressure trace sections so you can get an idea of what each combo generates. I personal look for loads that are below 50K in pressure. I went smokeless back in 2012 with a 10ML2. Still have 2 of them I converted to 45 cal. I'm working on another LMRP centerfire conversion now using the Jeff Hankins plug system. Had 2 other centerfire conversions by him. I only shoot smooth sized Pittman Accumax bullets. 300 grain. Beauty of these guns is I don't have to clean them each time out.

You can see pressure signs on either 209 or LMRP. The problem is there are many different breech plugs for the 209 guns and modules for the LMRP. What is safe in one is not necessarily safe in another due to different designs of the breech plugs and especially when you get into bronze modules and aluminum bronze modules. Then you also have direct ignition and there are also differences here as well. Like said previously read and ask questions on Hanks and Dougs boards.

With my Savage 10ML-II I looked for damage to my primers or if I had considerably more difficulty removing the primer from the BP than I knew was typical. To a lesser extent I always tried to recover and examine my used sabots. If the outside temps were at or below 70*/F I would use a damaged sabot as an indication of over presure. By damaged I mean sabots that were missing petals had been torn into pieces or otherwise no linger intact.

I could be wrong but I am of the strong belief that a sabot acts like a sort of over pressure relief valve and should (hopefully) fail before any part of the ML will and allow the excessive pressure to safely vent out past the bullet and out of the muzzle.

After 1500+ loads of smokeless powders like H4198, RL10x and RL7 in charges ranging from 58-70 grains I know what a failed sabot looks like.

I absolutely love shooting my inlines and once I made the switch to smokeless I was forever ruined and spoiled by not having to clean my barrel until after season is over. As much as i love and sing the praises of BH209 from the mountain tops, you still have to clean your bore or you will get a visit from a very welcomed guest that will take up residence uninvited in your barrel, Mr. rust.

I also second going to Doug's board. Been a member there for well over 14 years. You wont find a better ML website anywhere.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.