Smokeless Build?

Jon Beanland built me a SML on a 700 Magnum action I already had, but any 700 would work. Bartlein barrel, Arrowhead magnum primer system, Triggertech trigger ..... I am using 73.0 grains of IMR 4198 and getting 2800 FPS. As everyone above has stated the accuracy is almost unbelievable. This target is shots #3-5 after getting my scope zeroed.
SML, 45 cal..jpg

By shot 15 on the next outing with the same loads velocity settled in at 2790-2800. Jon said that the guys who are lucky enough to have Benchmark powder are getting up to 3000 FPS. For me 2800 FPS is more than enough recoil even with a very large muzzle brake.

........... How are you guys already doing this going about finding the best combo for your rifle(s)?
My method is to do a Satterlee test. I created form in Excel and just fill in the blanks.
I shoot over the chronograph but not at a target, just the berm. I'm not shooting for accuracy at this point, I'm shooting to find a node or nodes. Once I find it I'm basically done.

NOTE............. THE FOLLOWING TEST IS FOR MY SPECIFIC CUSTOM RIFLE. IT MAY NOT BE SAFE IN ANY OTHER RIFLE.
There are 2 nodes indicated on the graph. My chosen charge is 88.25grs. The other node would be around 91grs.

8208XBR Satterlee test 5-13-2020  88.25grs  is node.JPG

Does this help?

Well I don't dare answer that one. Because mine uses a stainless primer adapter so being able to slide a bullet down the barrel by hand and with primer adapters, using conventional pressure signs such as primer or bolt lift resistance could be too late. I'd recommend Hanks load advice on this one to be safe.

Yes, Sir! I'm guessing in addition to watching velocity you're carefully keeping an eye on how the primers are 'looking' as far as pressure signs go?🤔
The Arrowhead system says if you are using the regular (non-hardened) modules and notice any change in placing the fired modules in the shell holder for re-priming that is a sign of increased pressure and to reduce your loads. I should also have mentioned I am using the NSR (no sizing required) Arrowhead 300 grain bullets with my loads.

The Arrowhead system says if you are using the regular (non-hardened) modules and notice any change in placing the fired modules in the shell holder for re-priming that is a sign of increased pressure and to reduce your loads. I should also have mentioned I am using the NSR (no sizing required) Arrowhead 300 grain bullets with my loads.
Gotcha. I'll be using brass priming modules and haven't fully decided on the bullet. Was leaning towards the Parker BE (which Jeff told me today would definitely require sizing), but Jeff also recommends the Pittman Accumax Bullets with this conversion. Undecided…🤔

Gotcha. I'll be using brass priming modules and haven't fully decided on the bullet. Was leaning towards the Parker BE (which Jeff told me today would definitely require sizing), but Jeff also recommends the Pittman Accumax Bullets with this conversion. Undecided…🤔

The BE is a little fragile at the higher SML velocities IMO and also of others. I wouldn't be taking shoulder shots with the BE at SML velocities.
I have the Pittman Accumax and they shoot well but, the one's I have only have a .015" jacket and IIRC were made for BH209 velocities. They shoot well but again, they are the thin jackets.
I really like the Fury line for hunting bullets at what I would say is moderate ranges of 300yds. I've used the 300gr Star tips on whitetail and they're DRT.
My favorite of all is the 300gr XLD from Arrowhead. Its BC is .400 and its accurate as all get-out.

Note: A guy can go broke trying all these bullets :)

How to save money.jpg

I really like the Fury line for hunting bullets at what I would say is moderate ranges of 300yds. I've used the 300gr Star tips on whitetail and they're DRT.

I was also looking at the Fury .452 Star Tip 'MZ'…would these be okay for deer hunting 300 yards and under?🤔They seem to be quite a bit cheaper than the other 50 count selections…

I was also looking at the Fury .452 Star Tip 'MZ'…would these be okay for deer hunting 300 yards and under?🤔They seem to be quite a bit cheaper than the other 50 count selections…

They work and are very accurate for me from my rifle out to 300yds.

Recent Posts