Smokeless Build?

My bad, you said rifle...
I said rifle because I meant rifle, but I went back and edited my original post to say ML. I'm pretty sure you can buy a muzzle loading rifle or revolver, so I thought rifle in a ML forum was self explanatory. I didn't know that your comment was directed at me at first but since it was let me clarify. Yes, I took my smokeless muzzle loader to New Mexico last year on a public land hunt in unit 36 and shot a bull elk with it at exactly 300 yards. I hit him 3 times in the lungs and you could cover all 3 holes with a dollar bill.

No worries man, I had thought you were saying you can use smokeless in NM during muzzleloader season (I'm assuming you used yours during rifle then). It peaked my interest because I would love to be able to hunt more states with mine.

No worries man, I had thought you were saying you can use smokeless in NM during muzzleloader season (I'm assuming you used yours during rifle then). It peaked my interest because I would love to be able to hunt more states with mine.
No worries here either. I used Blackhorn. My ML has never seen smokeless powder although I can if I want to.

Over on SnipersHide, there is a thread where PVA (Patriot Valley Arms) is making shouldered prefit SML barrels to use on a Bighorn TL3. There was a small breach piece needed as well.

It's worth the read - and if you have a Bighorn TL3, it opens up a lot of possibilities with a switch barrel set up.

FWIW McGowen made or ordered the tool sets (idk what's involved with this) for my build to be able to make prefits for the 700ml with an ASG 209 breech plug...

In fact, now that I think about it, if I could get another action,. I would probably do a lightweight build for use with pyrodex and bh209... Now the wheels are turning...

My Arrowhead rifle will handle smokeless;but I find 120 grains by volume of 209 will get the job done just fine.Luke's 300 grain bullet running 2250 is a killing combination. Smokeless is not legal in N.M. during ML season ; but is legal during rifle season. 2800 fps with a 300 grain bullet is just more fun than I need to have.

I just ordered (as of last night) one of Jeff Hankins conversion rifles to try this smokeless 'smoke poke' thing out this year……a little something different. CVA Scout V2 45-70 converted to muzzleloader. Went ahead and ordered one of his 4-port self timing brakes as well to replace the factory one. Got plenty of IMR 4198, Federal LR Magnum primers and plan on ordering 275gr Parker BE bullets. I've watched just about every Hankins video I can find (YouTube) and he pretty much recommends 65gr IMR4198 with the 275 Parker BE for this particular conversion. This morning I watched a video where he tested other powders such as IMR3031, H4350 and Retumbo and DANG the IMR3031 and H4350 shot extremely tight with pretty low ES. How are you guys already doing this going about finding the best combo for your rifle(s)?

I just ordered (as of last night) one of Jeff Hankins conversion rifles to try this smokeless 'smoke poke' thing out this year……a little something different. CVA Scout V2 45-70 converted to muzzleloader. Went ahead and ordered one of his 4-port self timing brakes as well to replace the factory one. Got plenty of IMR 4198, Federal LR Magnum primers and plan on ordering 275gr Parker BE bullets. I've watched just about every Hankins video I can find (YouTube) and he pretty much recommends 65gr IMR4198 with the 275 Parker BE for this particular conversion. This morning I watched a video where he tested other powders such as IMR3031, H4350 and Retumbo and DANG the IMR3031 and H4350 shot extremely tight with pretty low ES. How are you guys already doing this going about finding the best combo for your rifle(s)?
Jeff's a great guy to talk to! Pretty much the same as reloading with all the recipes, trial and error. I find 215's seem to shoot the best out of my Precision bullets barrel. Please remember to Remove the Ramrod from the barrel before shooting!! It's a long story!

Recent Posts