SMK

Brown Dog

Despite reading all the various SMK posts, I still don't really understand the issues surrounding its use.

Would an SMK devotee be kind enough to explain why they would choose it over a Nosler BT (eg 300 win mag 180 SMK vs 180 Nosler BT)?

SMKs are accurate, they're used in the rounds many of us shoot for competitions and grouping tests. The vast majority of my (our) data is for SMKs.

Nosler BTs....well... well.... aahhhh... "they blow up on impact" yeah, that's it! "They blow up on impact". Not really, they're fine too but I shoot MatchKings for the vast majority of my shooting, why change??

I probably shoot 500 or more MatchKings downrange in practice for every round I fire "hunting" big game... I like SMKs
smile.gif
They work fine and kill animals very dead.

Brown dog,

Try Hornady A-Max. They are better than the SMK. They will destroy any whitetail in its path at any range. SMK's are over rated. Which bullet was used for the new world record? A-MAX!!!

I agree that the A-Max is an excellent bullet. I wasn't, however, aware that it performed flawlessly at any range and/or impact velocity. Wow...

Additionally, I had no idea the SMKs were so overrated. I was under the impression the SMKs had a hell of a track record and offered incredible consistency for an extremely affordable cost.

But then, maybe that's true only in my reality
rolleyes.gif

i'm a firm believer that bullet placement is everything. granted, i dont advise 100gr bullets on elk, but staying within reason, a well placed shot is going to do the job. i dont use SMK's in my 270 because i dont plan on shooting more than 300-400yds, but on my long distance guns that i also do competition with, i use SMK's for accuracy reasons. shooting all summer long ensures come hunting season, i know right where that bullet is going to end up. one quick look around here and theres more than enough proof that SMK's work. so, if the bullet will do the job, and using that bullet year round i know how to put it where i want it, why would i use something else? that incorporates a whole new set of load data and requires quite a bit of practice time. i shoot the same load for competition right up until hunting season, and then use it for hunting.

-brian

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.