SMK out shot by a flat base?

I have read it is harder to make consistant bullets when they have boattails so this makes sense. Many Barnes X bullets have shot better with the FB than BTs and they don't have jackets that are part of the problem even. Interesting.

Littletoes,
I've worked/shot with David quite a bit on this. A group of us have gone together to buy an Oehler M43 with the acoustics screens and all to chrono out to 1000yds.
Yes he is using Randy'd 187gr flatbase bullets in a 14" twist Shilen barrel in his 30 Boo Boo chambering (8x68 case necked down). This case is essentially a 300 Win Mag without the belt to give you an idea.
Boattails have there own set of problems in manufacturing so the theory was to just eliminate the boattail and have a longer ogive to gain some of the BC back and shoot it faster through a slower twist barrel. Dave isn't the only one using Randy's bullet right now either. There's about 5 guys setup to do it. One guy shot a 4" 10 shot HG group with a perfect 100 with these bullets. And David has multiple wins using Randy's bullets.
There's other expereiementing going on also in regard to the meplat that helps with the BC variation of bullets and reduces the up/down in 1000yd groups. But to be fair to the boattial bullet makers there 2 custom bullet makers out there that make boattails using a different process than the other makers and it seems to make a world of difference when spinning their bullet and comparing to other that don't use this process. They are Clinch River Outfitters in TN and Bob Cauterucio(sp?) out in San Fran.
Also Randy'd bullets were recently shot down in Yuma using the doppler radar system and his flatbase bullet showed the most uniform BC variation of all bullets tested so far. Not the highest BC just the most uniform from one shot to the next. And that all you need to kill paper. I wasn't there first hand. This info is from Randy himself.

Steve

[ 01-04-2003: Message edited by: Steve Shelp ]

Thanks guys. Figured this was the best way to get some info. Have some very sharp guys on this board. Anyone have any pic.'s of one of these? Or know where we can see some?

Brent,
Because it's a flatbase bullet it's very short for a 187gr bullet. So it doesn't take as tight of a twist as a 180 or 190gr class BT bullet. Plus the speed is up on them also being that they are mostly being shot out of the same case. But the bullet length is the biggest factor for using the slower twist.

Littletoes,
I'll look through all my pictures. I don't know if I have any of just the bullet itself though. If not I can get some. But it really looks like a VLD hollow point bullet without a boattail. Nothing spectacular really. Unless you see what they do on paper...

Steve

Thanks Steve, BTW it's good to hear from you lately. I hope life has been treating you right.
smile.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 22 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.