SMK for mulies....

sakofan

Iam going to NM this year to hunt mulies.
Most of the shots will be 100-250 yds, historically.
I have a Sako 75 300WM, w/ a twist rate of 1 in 11in.
This gun loves the 150-175gr. bullets, but will shoot 180gr. rounds with no problem.
Question...whats the "best" SMK bullet weight for this range, rifle, and animal.
Thanks in advance for your input.
...sakofan...
smile.gif

With your cartridge selection and the high velocity achieved, if you want to use MK,s in that short of a distance I recomend the heavier the better. At high velocity close up they can explode, but also for the size of your target, anything in the 168+ should do ok. Should being the key word. With your 11 twist have you considered trying a 190 or 200 grain??

While Matchkings are a possible bullet for your mulie hunt I would suggest considering one of the new bonded bullets - either the 165 Hornady or Scirocco for instance. Some of the new bonded bullets provide very close to match accuracy. They will retain a very significant percentage of initial weight regardless of the distance of the shot - matter or fact you might say they are optimized for the ranges that you are considering.
I have killed deer with 175 Matchkings at 100-200 yards cleanly, but a big mulie might best be hit with a bullet that will retain the maximum amount of weight to ensure adequate penetration if you have to take an angled shot.
I hope to shoot some mulies this year and I will be using the 150 Hornady Interbond or the 150 Swift Scirocco as those bullets have been deadly out to 500 yards on several deer. Also hope to use the new Nosler Accubond from my .300 Win. as this bullet is shooting sub 1/2 minute groups if I can hold onto the heavy Lilja-barreled M-70 properly. I also have a 75 and it is a wonderful shooting rifle.

Fairly new gun. The biggest bullet so far has been a 180gr. variety.
This hunt, is guided, on this ranch. Written into my contract, is a clause stating that I'm to use at least a 7mm mag., and use a 175gr. bullet...minimum.
Have shot the Scirocco, and it did all right. The ol' Nosler Partition is also a consideration, or the Accubond.
Wish they made the Accubond in a 180gr. bullet, though.
I have never shot anything with a MK, and wanted to give it a go.
Thanks...sakofan..

We took 2 black bear a couple evenings ago. It was the first time I used MK's on game. Both shots were about 350yds. with a 300 win mag. The bullet was the 220gr. MK coming out at 2855fps. Both shots were broad side and both exited. One left the jacket on the far side hide. Not what Id call premium hunting bullet performance but the bears were both very impressed.

Sakofan, Just ordered some 150gr MKs for my 708, I guess just to see If their as accurate as the 150NBTs I've been using, as long as I do my part the Nosler will hover around 3/8" for 3 shots @100yds, Usually have 2 in the same hole and the third off a little, I don't know If it's from the Varget powder that replaced 760 I had in them or the HS stock that replaced the plastic one, needless to say I'm impressed with my new found accuracy, hope the MKs will hold the same. Why does your guide stipulate you use a 7mag. for a mule deer? Jay.

SAKOFAN, I too recomend the nosler, 6 mulies, a dozen whitetail, and too many blacktail to count. I use the 180gr in my in my 300win mag, the only bullet I recovered weighed 162gr after hitting a blacktail between the eye's and then hitting the right hind quarter, I found the bullet when I cut him up. They grow'em big in NM, GOOD LUCK!
Tom

Semper-Fi

Thanks for all the responses...Jay, I have not talked to the guide about why, he demands a 7mag. minimum caliber and a 175gr. round.
I ASSUME, he has alot of guys coming out there, that dont know what the ^#&$ their doing, and wants to try to make sure the animal dies as quickly as possible, if hit w/ a bad shot.
He is a really great person, and seems knowledgable. It's too bad thats their people out there, that would NOT prepare themselves, or their equipment to be as professional as possible.
A great animal, worthy to be hunted, deserves our maximum effort,and preparation.
.......sakofan...
I ahd a bad time getting the Nosler BT to group.
I just picked up some more Partitions, that shot VERY well in my Sako...Go figure!!
I dont understand all I know about that one!!
2 rifles, that would'nt shoot Nosler BT's, but would shoot Partitions very well...
confused.gif
smile.gif

SAKO,

I don't understand that 7mm mag. minimum crap!!!! I'd be interestedin seeing why??? Big guns can be as conter productive as they are productive.. if a guy is afraid of a big gun.... he ain't gonna hit ****!!! a 308 is plenty of gun for Mulies to 300 yards!!

A bad shot isn't gonna make the deer dies any quicker... TOO many people have the idea that a big gun makes up for poor shooting.. man thats just a load of crap!!! kinda ****es me off... if you can shoot a 243 into 1.5" at 200 yards you can kill a mule deer. I hunted a woman that took a 6mm rem. for mule deer, you could cover all her shots with a quarter at 200 yards and she killed a whopper 5X6 with that rifle .. the deer dressed at over 250 lbs!!!

Accuracy matters...!!

Sakofan, You should ask your guide, What would kill a deer faster a 7Mag in the ear or a 708 through the liver, not being sarcastic, well maybe, this guide hasn't heard the old adage, it's not what you hit em' with, it's where you hit em'.
wink.gif
Jay.

Wyo, Jay, Like I said, I ASSUME thats the reason he requires the 7 mag. & 175gr. bullet min. I dont know for sure.
It really is'nt an issue for me on the cal., only w/ the gr. bullet. I would prefer using a 168gr. bullet, as my rifle w/ its rate of twist, shoots more accurately.
I will probably load some 168gr. nad 180gr. and take both. If he makes me "weigh" my rounds, then I'll take evasive actions!! LOL
I totally agree that, this is unreasonable, but Iam sure he has his reasons. 4000 acres of prestine mulie country, that will have a total of 6 hunters on it, while the rut is in high gear, should make it worth my while!!!
smile.gif

Sakofan, So, If 7Mag w/175gr is the min, Is an '06' w/150gr not enough, since the '06' isn't as powerful as the '7', I'd have to buy a new gun for a hunt with him.
frown.gif
Were not taking this out on you, just kinda peaved at this guide, e-mail him and ask what rounds aren't allowed in a hunt with him. I liked to see that list.
mad.gif
Jay.

SakoFan... A 190 MK with H-1000 behind it will be hard to beat for a hard hitting, temp. stable round with the twist rate you have.

AH, these must be the kevlar/ceramic skinned species that the US army have been testing their Abrahms tanks on. Very tough critters.

Take your guides advice. In fact, I would suggest you look up past articles on the 338 Lapua improved and the 338-416 Rigby improved cartridges. The reg Lapua is a bit small. Use a 300gr bullet and please limit your shots to 150yds tops. Barnes X, fail safes, depleated uranium core bullets would be a better choice. The 300gr MK are likely to rivet on the skin.

If hunting in groups, ensure that ricochets off the skin will not injure a nearby hunter or small city. Ensure that you can get three or four rounds into the boiler room quickly. This particular species have been known to attack and destroy hunters and their trucks after being shot with lesser cartridges.

Now you know why those Abrahms tanks have reactive armour. To protect the crew from these deer.

I think you get my drift. I would recheck what your guide really meant as a rifle/calibre min. If what he wants is correct, find another guide and place to hunt. They don't seem to understand what really matters in killing deer.

Jerry

PS if you really want to shoot big mulies, come up to Sasketchewan and Alberta. Their really big and don't come with bullet proof vests. Probably cheaper too.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.