SMK Companion

getsmart

I am looking for a companion for the 200 grain SMK to shoot out of my .300 WBY. The purpose is for a bullet that will shoot similiar to the SMK, but be able to perform at ranges inside of 250 yards.

The Gameking shoots pretty closely, but at a 3010fps muzzle velocity it may be travelling too fast inside of 250yards to perform.

Do any of you have a second bullet handy for close range shots?

The last three years all of my shots at elk have been inside of 150yds. I was using the 180gr Speer Grandslam, but since you guys have given me the long range bug I have noticed that the 200 grain SMK is king in my gun.

The 200 grain Nosler Accubond would be a good consideration. High BC, it will carry out as flat as the Matchking in our testing to 1000 yards in a .300 Win. Very accurate bullet, might push your Matchkings for accuracy too.

getsmart
I took Ian M's advice about a year ago. I shoot both 200 gr SMKs and Accubonds over 71 grs of Re 22 in a 300 WM. Out to 400 yds they shoot into the same .75 MOA group.
Chris

Getsmart
I just worked up a long range load for a friends 300 RUM. 200 Accubond at 3260 FPS. Well the 300 pound hog walked out at 40 yards and caught a quarting shot. The AB was recovered under the hide of the off side shoulder. It weighed 130 grains and held together. From what people are reporting at long range it sounds like an all around winner.
When I get the slug and photos I'll post them.

Ian, Winmagman, Rimfire,

Thanks for the tip. My three local stores do not carry Accubonds. I will check online.

That sounds like good performance on that hog.

Thanks again.

Just load the gameking down a little - say 2800 to 3000 fps- there is no sense burning the barrel throat for the close in shots. Or if you prefer, the more expensive route is to go get a box of partitions, Xs, etc and shoot a few of each to see which gives you same point of impact as the SMK. I would still recommend that you load it down. Obviously you can easliy adjust for an elevation difference if you have target turrets, but cannot live with much of a horizontal difference. From my experience you will be lucky to come close wihtout a lot of effort so if you are already lucky and like the game kings then you are nearly done.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.