smk, berger, or Amax

shooterpunk2

I am going to be doing some reloading for my 300 Winny for elk hunting next year. This is my long range rig right now and I am want to load with the better bullet for 600-800 yard elk hunting. I am thinking either the 208 gr Amax, the 210 Berger, or 220 SMK. Which of these three do you think would be the better bullet for this?

Also I have some 190 SMK's loaded up, would I be ok for hunting elk in the 600-700 yard range? If so, I'll just stick with these. Thanks a ton guys!

I am going to be doing some reloading for my 300 Winny for elk hunting next year. This is my long range rig right now and I am want to load with the better bullet for 600-800 yard elk hunting. I am thinking either the 208 gr Amax, the 210 Berger, or 220 SMK. Which of these three do you think would be the better bullet for this?

Also I have some 190 SMK's loaded up, would I be ok for hunting elk in the 600-700 yard range? If so, I'll just stick with these. Thanks a ton guys!

If I am to choose between one of your three choices, I would say 210 Berger for sure. However, at the distances you wish to hunt out of a 300 Win, I don't think that you'll have the velocity to get the matchkings to open up. The a-max is still iffy, and the ballistics are virtually the same as the 210VLD, so why not use the one that's proven as a long range hunting round? If it was me, I would probably drop down to one of the lighter Bergers such as the 168-190 grain. Then you can get the impact velocity up so that it will perform well on game. You should be able to run a 168 VLD to around 3100 fps or so and at that velocity at sea level you will still be at the minimum 1800fps impact velocity very close to 800 yards. Just crunch some numbers, you'll find what will work best for you ballistically.

As always shot placement is the key and all of the above choices will work IMHO

Of all three, I would go with the 210 Berger provided you stayed at 800 yards or less. There will enough remaining velocity to initiate expansion. Much further and you would need the AMAX. Despite the overwhelming success of the 300 grain 338 SMK, most of the rest of them dont have a BC high enough to keep the impact velocity high enough at 800 yards to reliably expand.

IMHO a better bullet choice for the task at your hand would be the 200 Nosler AB. You will have enough impact velocity at 900 yards to open her up nicely without it coming unglued at shorter ranges.

Of course, this is only my respectfull opinion.

M

Of all three, I would go with the 210 Berger provided you stayed at 800 yards or less. There will enough remaining velocity to initiate expansion. Much further and you would need the AMAX. Despite the overwhelming success of the 300 grain 338 SMK, most of the rest of them dont have a BC high enough to keep the impact velocity high enough at 800 yards to reliably expand.

IMHO a better bullet choice for the task at your hand would be the 200 Nosler AB. You will have enough impact velocity at 900 yards to open her up nicely without it coming unglued at shorter ranges.

Of course, this is only my respectfull opinion.

M

Plus one...

...or the 180 E-Tip, which ever shoots best. These are my choices in the 300 RUM.

Mark

I have really been thinking about the 200 accubond. It still needs 1800 fps to open reliably correct?

The reason I was wanting the smk, amax, or berger is because I would love to have one load for hunting a target shooting and not have to switch back and forth.

What velocity does the A-max need to open up?

I really appreciate the responses guys, thanks.

The 180 E-Tip, 200 AB and 210 Berger shoot about the same level of accuracy in my rifle. The best groups I shot so far at 427 yds, are 1.8" with the 180 E-Tips and 2.5" with the 210 Bergers. Haven't tried the 200 AB's past 200 yds yet and may not beacause i'm satisfied with E-Tip so far. Your rifle may be different and the Bergers/SMKs usually shoot a little better than the "non-match" bullets. I dont think Hornady advertises the expansion velocity for the AMax, but I thinks it's probably lower than 1600???

Last edited:
I dont think Hornady advertises the expansion velocity for the AMax, but I thinks it's probably lower than 1600???

I have never heard a figure from hornaday but I ran the 178 a few years back through some test medium and had expansion below 1400. These were reduced loads at close range. I dont know if that makes a difference or not.

That is good to know about the A-max's. I have been leaning towards them anyways.

Does anyone know how far away from the lands the A-maxs like to be?

I have never heard a figure from hornaday but I ran the 178 a few years back through some test medium and had expansion below 1400. These were reduced loads at close range. I dont know if that makes a difference or not.

Michael,

Did you come up w/ a top speed for impact and not have total fragmentation?

Steve

I shot an 8 point white tail several years ago with a 155 AMAX he was 225 yards looking straite toward me I shot him a little higher than I would have liked the bullet traveled just below his spine and exited out of his butt hole:) really, it left a good half dollar size exit . I have also shot a 5x5 elk in colorado with the same bullet & 300 win mag the elk was around 35 yrds and ran about 6 yards then fell down the side of the mtn then their was the 4x4 mule deer shot again with the amax it ran about 30 yards it was running when I shot it though. Now I shoot 210 bergers out of a 300 RUM shot my first DOE the other day @ 217 yards she was bedded down and she died on that same bed . This weekend a friend of mine killed a spike at 60 yards with his 300 win mag I loaded 175 matchkings for it. This was the first deer taken with this bullet he shot the spike right in the chest and he said it slammed the deer down the entrance hole looked about the size of a quarter no pass through but hey the deer was dead. Like I posted before any of the three will get the job done!!!! Even with "TOTAL FRAGMENTATION"

Bigbuck

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts