Smiths: Easier To Accurize M700 or M70?

highdrum

I am looking into buy a 7mm STW, I have found one in Sender and on in Classic M70 from Winchester as well. The Win has been beeded and free floated and a brake installed. What would be easier/cheaper to perform a full accurizing job on?

I am looking into buy a 7mm STW, I have found one in Sender and on in Classic M70 from Winchester as well. The Win has been beeded and free floated and a brake installed. What would be easier/cheaper to perform a full accurizing job on?

A lot depends on what the smith you choose likes.

They both can be accurized very well and make fine Custom rifles.

Me personaly, I like the round shape of the 700 Rem for accurizing best because if the action
is not perfectly true (Concentric) To the bolt the Outside of the Rem action can be turned true
on a lathe. The flat bottomed actions like the winchester, ruger, Weatherby and others can't
be trued in this manner.

A lot of old bench resters use to turn the 700s and sleeve them to a much larger Diameter
for maximum strength (To hold a huge Bull Barrel that is full floated) But now you can buy
larger custom actions and this practice is not as common any more .

The other reason that I prefer the 700 Rem action is that there is a lot more available after
market parts to customise to your taste.

I build rifles on all types of actions and the Remington is one of the easiest and consistently
more accurate actions that I have used.

In the right hands almost any action can be made accurate but some are easier that others.

PS; The Remington Sendero makes a fine rifle to build on or accurize.

Hope this helps

J E CUSTOM

I like to do the Rem 700s but for a full action job the old barrel cant be used you need to install a custom barrel the threads will be .010 over sized after squaring up the threads.

Either action can be a perfect candidate to be accurized. A lot of smiths today would prefer to work on the Remington 700 as it's a solid yet simple action. The Winchester is not much different but does take some different knowledge and tooling to work on. You stated you wanted to just accurize one of these rifles. Which in my definition is doing as much to the existing rifle without having to re-set the headspace. If you just accurizing a rifle there's no need at this time to pull the barrel and re-cut the action threads, that would be an action blueprint. Here is what I do for an accurizing procedure. Pulled from www.mcrifles.com
My advice though is to choose whichever rifle suits you, both can be accurized to shoot well.

MCR Accuracy Package - $200
1. Re-crown - This is the most overlooked item in creating accuracy. The bullet and its gases must exit the barrel evenly from the bore. This is why I bore indicate every crown, whether its a target rifle or a hunting rifle.
2. Adjust Trigger - On rifles that have adjustable triggers (i.e. Remingtons) I set them at a crisp 2.5 - 3.0 lb. pull, with little or no A creep and minimal over travel. For those with non-adjustable triggers I try to achieve a reasonable crisp pull.
3. Lap Locking Lugs - This allows the bolt lugs to be in complete contact with the receiver locking lugs. Upon firing the only thing that stops the bolt from rearward movement is the bolt lugs contacting the receiver locking lugs. Upon firing if the bolt lugs are not parallel to each other, with complete even contact against the receiver locking lugs, one side will stop before the other creating a rocking effect which pushes the case off to one side, affecting accuracy
4. Full Action Bed / Free Float Barrel
(no synthetic stocks!) - This process creates a mold of your action in your stock. Eliminates any uneven pressure or stress points while tightening the guard screws. Eliminates any movement of the recoil lug upon firing.
5. Clean and Inspect Rifle - I will clean your rifle from top to bottom, using only top quality solvents and oils. The bore will be cleaned with all traces of powder and copper fouling removed. The lug recess area will be cleaned to remove any dirt and brass shavings. The chamber will be cleaned to remove any excess solvents. The action will be properly cleaned and oiled. Bolt grease will be used on contact points. The entire bore and chamber will be bore scoped for any unforeseen problems and corrected if possible.

The P64 Winny is a fine, fine action. I have the luxury of a bit more sophisticated tooling/options than most have so it becomes apples and apples for me.

That being said there is one thing about round receivers that I like and that's how easy they are to bed in a stock. The Winchester just takes a little more work, but its still very doable.

FWIW the Winny has long been the dominate action at Camp Perry for the match rifle guys. They just run, run, run.

Good luck.

C

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.