Smith & Wesson scopes

blockb

Anyone owned or looked through one of these. How is quality? I am looking at 4-18 mil-dot model and would like to know if true mil is on 18 power.

I have the same question. A local gun shop has a new S&W 6-24 for $219, which is a lot less than the MSRP of $619.95. I'd like to know who the real manufacturer of this scope is.

S&W rifle scopes

got this reply from Smith & Wesson:
-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, March 10, 2004 8:29 AM
Subject: RE: warranty question on Smith&Wesson performance optics

Hi,
We no longer sell the optics. They still have the warranty on them. Keep your
sales receipt for the proof of purchase. You would contact us if there is a problem.
kf

Technical Data for 6-24x42:

Usage: Target, Varmint, LR
Finish: Black Matte
Magnification: 6-24x
Objective Diameter (mm): 42
Reticle: Mil-Dot
Parallax Setting yds/m: 50'/15m
Windage & Elevation:
(inches @100yds/mm@100m) .25/7
Lens Coating: FMC
RainShield®: Yes
Focus System: Easy-Focus™
Adjustable Objective: Yes
Eye Relief (mm/inches): 80/3.2
Exit Pupil: 7.0
Wide Angle: Yes
Linear Field of View @ 100 yds/m: 21/7
Angular Field of View (degrees): 4
Windage Adjustment Range (MOA): 30
Elevation Adjustment Range (MOA): 30

Technical Data for 4-18x42:

Usage: Target, Varmint, LR
Finish: Black Matte
Magnification: 4-18x
Objective Diameter (mm): 42
Reticle: Mil-Dot
Parallax Setting yds/m: 50'/15m
Windage & Elevation:
(inches @100yds/mm@100m) .25/7
Lens Coating: FMC
RainShield®: Yes
Focus System: Easy-Focus™
Adjustable Objective: Yes
Eye Relief (mm/inches): 80/3.2
Exit Pupil: 10.5
Wide Angle: Yes
Linear Field of View @ 100 yds/m: 31.4/10.5
Angular Field of View (degrees): 6
Windage Adjustment Range (MOA): 40
Elevation Adjustment Range (MOA): 40

[ 03-13-2004: Message edited by: thequickad ]

I just bought the last S&W 6-24x42 scope my dealer had. S&W did discontinue it and it was made for them by Nikon. It's a beauty and looks to be a bargain for $219.00.

Thanks for the link. I may pick up a 4-18X42 for another rifle.

[ 03-13-2004: Message edited by: redshanks ]

o.k. I broke down and also bought one from CDNN. It's the 6-24x42. Good deal for only $200 (retail is $619). I would say it is about on the par with Leupold VX3 or Bushnell 4200 level. Scope is quite heavy at 20oz. Optics are fully multi-coated, bright, sharp and clear. Comes with finger adjustable low profile turrets and 1/4 MOA clicks. Scope is made in Japan.

[ 04-01-2004: Message edited by: thequickad ]

Q&D, I recently bought a Howa 1500 Supreme Varmint in .22-250 caliber, and just picked it up tonight. With any luck (hiding it somehow from my wife), I will pick up the S&W 6-24x42 scope within the next week, after I find a way to pay for it.

Are you saying this is an elcheapo scope? I'm just getting back into shooting after an absence of 25 years. I thought this was a pretty decent piece of glass when I put my money down.

Please elaborate on your evaluation of this scope. I realize that according to opinions expressed here, I did not choose wisely regarding the brand of rifle I bought or the caliber, but I got a pretty good deal on this rig and bought it to introduce my sons to the shooting sports.

The Howa is as pictured and in unfired condition. It came with Nikon scope bases and rings, still in the bags, for $425.00.

howa_supr_va.jpg

As I have already stated, I paid $219.00 for the S&W 6-24x42 scope. I guess I won't know if this was a good deal until I get to shoot it.

Here's hoping.

Sorry about the confusion. I have not shot the scope yet, it has been mounted so have not tried for repeatability, ...etc. But it is on the par (quality wise) with VXIII or 4200. That's pretty much what you get for $300-$400 scope.
sw1.jpg
sw2.jpg
sw3.jpg
sw4.jpg
sw5.jpg

[ 04-01-2004: Message edited by: thequickad ]

OK guys this S&W scope talk has aroused my curiosity. I called the guys at CDNN and tried to find out who makes this scope for S&W. All they could tell me was that it was made in Japan. I compared the picture of this scope on the CDNN site with the Nikons that I own and there is no similarities that I could find. It doesn't resemble the Monarchs or the one Buckmaster I have. Your guess is as good as mine on this one. I ordered one and for the price I don't think anyone is going to get hurt, especially with S&W backing the lifetime warranty. Plus it has "Rain Shield" which is very nice for those who hunt during inclimate weather conditions. Mine[6-24x42] will be here some time in the coming week. Has anyone else taken delivery on theirs yet? Quikad you wasted no time getting yours mounted. Gettin anxious here. Come on "Brown".

[ 04-26-2004: Message edited by: jhw1st ]

I have my S&W 6-24x42 mounted on my rifle and hope to shoot it for the first time this coming weekend. I have since learned that the scope is made by Hakko, in Japan, who also makes scopes for several other Brands.

[ 04-26-2004: Message edited by: redshanks ]

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.