Smith &Wesson Performance Center 44 magnum Hunter Model 629 Question, Problem?

View attachment 143827 I recently purchase a S&W 44 mag hunter model 629 for deer huntin. I have a perplexing question. This handgun has two cocking points. 1st "stage" is about 1/8" from full cock and the "2nd stage" is at full hammer cock. At the first stage the trigger pull weight is about 2lb and at full cock it is about 4.5lb. Is this normal? This is a S&W Performance Center "tuned handgun. Does anybody else own a late model S&W model 629 that the hammer can be cocked in two different positions as I described above? Is this a Performance Center purposely added upgrade or is there something wrong with my Smith? Any help will be much appreciated.
First stage should be "safety" and not able to fire!

I hear ya. It'd be great to have someone pop on and say, "I used to work at the S&W Performance Center and you have the new 'two-sear' performance model. Those things are awesome and rare as only 5 were ever made before they discontinued it. Your gun is worth a fortune!"

For what it's worth, the gun looks beautiful. Is it accurate?
No disputing an expert! On all mine it is a safety!.... you should have told him it was a dangerous flaw and offered to buy it....lmao

I was going to jokingly post that (about buying it from him) as it is surely a nice gun I'd love to have.

As for the 'two-sear' thing, that WAS a joke (as the gun was ACTING like it had a second sear cut near full-cock) and I was commiserating as to how it would have been nice if someone (an 'expert') had posted here to reassure him that everything was fine and normal. But it's not fine and normal, unfortunately. I hope S&W or an authorized S&W service center gets it all sorted out and he can pop back on here and let us know what the issue REALLY was.

The temptation would be to pop off the side plate and 'look', but the minute you take the thing apart, then the manufacturer could (rightly so) claim the gun had been tampered with and then they might deny any repair claim. OP is doing the right thing getting it to a gunsmith/repair center for a 'look-see'. Thankfully the gun shoots great, so if they get the 'two-full-cocking-points' issue sorted out, he'll be good to go.

I was going to jokingly post that (about buying it from him) as it is surely a nice gun I'd love to have.

As for the 'two-sear' thing, that WAS a joke (as the gun was ACTING like it had a second sear cut near full-cock) and I was commiserating as to how it would have been nice if someone (an 'expert') had posted here to reassure him that everything was fine and normal. But it's not fine and normal, unfortunately. I hope S&W or an authorized S&W service center gets it all sorted out and he can pop back on here and let us know what the issue REALLY was.

The temptation would be to pop off the side plate and 'look', but the minute you take the thing apart, then the manufacturer could (rightly so) claim the gun had been tampered with and then they might deny any repair claim. OP is doing the right thing getting it to a gunsmith/repair center for a 'look-see'. Thankfully the gun shoots great, so if they get the 'two-full-cocking-points' issue sorted out, he'll be good to go.
LMAO....I bought it! I have the Performance 500...luv it....I bought it just in case there was a burglar hiding behind the fridge....at my neighbor's house!

Well problem solved, where arm on trigger mates with the hammer when SA cocking is performed the hammer has a slight groove stoned into the face and the trigger arm falls into the groove on the tail of the hammer. When they created the groove they left a ridge at the top. When the when the trigger arm tip slides over the corner of the hammer tail it would stop against the ridge that was left when cutting groove. Ridge is just tall enough to make hammer stop and cock when gently pulling hammer back. When you put more pressure on hammer spur the trigger arm would jump over ridge and settle in the groove that is provided for the REAL cocking point. Minor fix, my Smith is gonna stone the ridge away. Gonna let my Smith fix it in two days instead of sending back to Smith for 6-8 freakin weeks and since the Performance center missed it before they sent it I really didn't want to send it to them anyway.
My Smith is a certified Smith and Wesson 30 year armorer so I have more faith in him than the Performance Center.
Anyway problem identified by the Smith and soon to be corrected.

Thanks for following up and letting us know what was going on. Strange problem. I'm glad you found a local smith you trust to fix it up. Far better to sort it now than to cock the gun, think it's cocked, only to have the hammer fall on it's own due to a 'false sear' situation. It's just frustrating you had to deal with this at all. If it says PERFORMANCE CENTER on it, you kinda figure the gun has rec'd a more thorough inspection and testing process. Maybe not...

Well he could advertise it as being one of a kind, and not be a total liar.:D:D:D

How many things were stumbled upon by accident that turned into big hits?

That's the rumor.
Next time I have a battlefield wound from a round ball musket, I'll stuff it with the green biscuit I carry around in my pocket for such an occasion.

Sorry OP, I'll stop acting stupid in your thread. Been hanging out with my 3 year old nephew all day and he's a bad influence.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.