Smith for Savage 99 re-barrel??

Litehiker

WANTED: a gunsmith specializing in Savage 99 lever action rifles.

I have a Savage 99 C in .308 that I want re-barreled in a tapered octagonal barrel with 5R rifling. I'll supply the barrel blank, and possibly an octagonal blank.

1. This means the barrel threads myst be "timed" so the top barrel flat is exactly horizontal.

2. Further I want the chamber cut to absolute minimum SAAMI specs. I hate sloppy chambers.

This classic is long out of production and in NRA Very Good condition. I'm putting a Weineg laminated stock on it W/ a classic cheek piece. Also I have done a bit of work on the action.

The 99 has a "falling block" type bolt and I have lapped it at the rear of the bolt so it locks up with 100% contact on the receiver. The trigger has been honed and is the very best trigger I've experienced on a lever gun. It deserves the best in a barrel and stock.

Plus it's "little brother", a Ruger 92/22 WMR lever gun, will get a matching Weinig stock. I already have the octagonal barrel.

AHA!, Pennsylvania, my home state. I'm from Erie in NW Pa so I'll give this good ol' boy a call. Sounds like he's somewhere near Pittsburgh.

Thanks for the tip.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.