smile for the V-MAX!!

lidsplitter

this is one of 4 coyotes I seen working the same field on mice this morning. they weren't having anything to do with any kind of racket I was making. after taking all the torment I could stand, I decided to make a stalk. I got to within 267 yards of this gal when she finally offered a shot. she popped up out of a small gully facing me straight on. I settled the cross hairs right on her nose thinking I'd hit an inch or two low since I'm zeroed at 250. that wasn't the case. the 40gn. V-MAX caught her right at the base of the right nostril. it just dumped her straight back.
P1020297.jpg
dec24.jpg

this is one of 4 coyotes I seen working the same field on mice this morning. they weren't having anything to do with any kind of racket I was making. after taking all the torment I could stand, I decided to make a stalk. I got to within 267 yards of this gal when she finally offered a shot. she popped up out of a small gully facing me straight on. I settled the cross hairs right on her nose thinking I'd hit an inch or two low since I'm zeroed at 250. that wasn't the case. the 40gn. V-MAX caught her right at the base of the right nostril. it just dumped her straight back.
P1020297.jpg
dec24.jpg

shooting a .204 with a 40 grain v-max

Congrats!!!
I like the looks of your rifle!!!
What are the specs? Looks like a Bushnell scope? Any comments on it?
Enjoyed the pics.

Congrats!!!
I like the looks of your rifle!!!
What are the specs? Looks like a Bushnell scope? Any comments on it?
Enjoyed the pics.
thanks!! here are the specs

remmy 700 SA blueprinted
lilja 1/12 twist varmint contour 26in.
H.S. precision varmint stock glass bedded
jewell trigger set at 1lbs.
nikon monarch ucc 6.5x20x44 with fine crosshair 1/8 moa adjustments
leupy mark 4 picatinny rail
burris tactical rings

lidsplitter,
Thanks for specs, really nice rig. A rifle like that is what I have in mind for a varmint gun. Looking forward for a build like that in the future.

Great shot. It kind of reminds me of some of the woodchucks that I shoot with the 55 gn. V-max. :D Some are not recognizable.

A friend of mine "accidentally" shot two coyotes last year with his .300 WM Sendero using 168gr Bergers. When I say accidentally, I mean we were setting up on some dirt clumps in the neighboring fields. We noticed something moving at 400 yards. I got behind the spotting scope, he got behind his Monarch. At the shot, the coyote disappeared. I thought I saw a mist in the air, but I flinched when he fired. We hopped in the truck and drove over there. All I can say is I wish I would have taken pics. Basically, it looked like the coyote grabbed a lit stick of dynamite and tried to head for the hills. He decapitated a coyote! No head, no ears, only a partial neck.

After a couple of hours and a few beers, we took a break to have another beer. In the same area, what should appear? Another coyote! He trotted over to where the other coyote was and sniffed it. We flopped back down and got ready. This time, the bullet struck the shoulder broadside. I'm almost positive you could have placed a watermelon in the open cavity the bullet left.

Moral of the story, don't use 168grain Bergers if you plan on saving pelts!

BTW way, imagine what those bullets would do on prairie dogs!

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.