Smallest diameter ocular needed for a Pre-64 rifle

Darryle

I have a Winchester Model 70 Pre-64 and the bolt handle rubs the ocular on every scope I have tried with the exception of the current Leupold FX-II 2.5 X 20MM. The FX-II is 1.4" diameter, but I want to get to at least 10x.

Can anyone point me to a scope that has a 1.5" or smaller in diameter ocular? Or to someone who can fix the bolt handle to help it clear the ocular?

Thanks Darryle

If I'm hearing correctly you need to work with your mounting system. Taller rings, better spacing, etc. I've had a variety of scopes on this one and others. Leupold Mark 4, ATACR 5-25x, as pictured 4-16X ATACR F-1. IMG-0506 (1).jpg

I have a couple of pre-64's so I know the problem. The occular on my FWT measures 1.7", it sits in a medium DNZ mount and bolt handle clears easily. The other one has a Picatinny rail, and most of the optics I have tried have clearance even with low rings (in the .750-.820 range).

If you are concerned with cheek weld, an easy way to address it is to put a shim on your comb, and add a stock pack to hold it in place.

I know a lot of guys like to get the scope as low as possible, but through my experience (with Model 70's specifically) I have found preference for a very light cheek weld. By mounting the optic a little higher, it seems my face influences the rifle less, and in recoil the rifle influences my face less, so thats a win win for me.

......If you are concerned with cheek weld, an easy way to address it is to put a shim on your comb, and add a stock pack to hold it in place.......

To be more complete this is Lazzerroni thumbhole and it's cheek rises higher. This is also a pre-war action. We have had other very workable stocks between us, including original, and replicas, on multiple actions. Just to point out a variety of solutions exist.

Back in the day , the fix was to just take a file to , or grind down the bolt handle/knob . I actually have several pre64 mod70's that had this done at some time in the past

This is a 358 Winchester built by John Hofmiester, I really don't want to go grinding on the bolt handle, I would be open to massaging the bolt handle to clear by reshaping though.

I would like to keep it as low as possible, but I am beginning to think that is not possible. I tried a Leupold VX-3 2.5-8x36mm in 1" low and medium Talley Lightweight mounts, both rubbed. I tried Zeiss, Leica and Swarovski in medium 30mm Talley Lightweight mounts and they rubbed as well. I cannot find dimensions for the ocular on Leupold VX 2 2-7 and 3-9, hoping they are close to the FX-II. I have a Murphy Precision picatinny rail and low Nightforce UltraLite rings, but I would need to have an adjustable cheek piece installed to use this setup.

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it!

Darryle

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.