Smaller caliber for prairie dogs and fun recommendation

Jpron

I'm taking my kids on a deer hunt this fall and where were hunting the guy said there's plenty of p dogs to shoot. I'm all kinds of excited to blast them little critters. I've never really messed around much with smaller calibers. So what would you recommend? Nothing really odd ball. I'm thinking 6mm creedmoor, 223, 22 creedmoor, or maybe a 243 with a high twist rate barrel and ream the throat to use the heavy 243 cals. I know the 243 is a lot over kill but I've been wanting to do that one for some time.

I pretty much only shoot prairie dogs these days. My primary rifle is a 20ppc. It will out bc a 22cal rifle up to 60gr bullets. Absolute lazer. When I called more coyotes I shot a 17rem and a slow twist 243 shooting 55gr nbt at 3900fps. Absolutely vaporized prairie dogs. These days I prefer the low recoil, high bc(for a 40gr bullet) and 25.4 grain powder charge of my little 20ppc. I also shoot a 20 practical, but haven't got serious about dialing it in just yet.

I know you said nothing odd ball but 20 Vartarg is amazing for prairie dogs. You can buy brass formed from .223, just neck down 221 fireball, or form your own from .223. Though it sounds like you want something heavier. Get into a good weekend of shooting and a 243 barrel will be toast... I like the light recoil and low powder use cartridges as the barrel doesn't heat up as fast.

The .20 Practical uses easy to find .223 brass and gets close to.204R ballistics. I have had the same 11 twist .20P barrel on mine since 2013 with way over 3000 rounds thru it and it still can hit pop can/tiny rodent targets at 300 yards consistently. I like 40 Vmax bullets for 400+ but 32 Vmax bullets are accurate and just fine for 300 yards. I make ammo using a Redding F/L bushing die with a .226 bushing & Hornady .20 seater die.

The .243 W is a real barrel burner and mine has been used with 87 Vmax bullets on prairie dogs with hits up to 600 yards. Barrel failure was sudden with much wear visible, like lands at 6 o'clock rubbed flat.

Last edited:
A lot rides on where you'll be hunting. Here in Oklahoma, and many other Western States, we have a constant wind of some sort. The .22/250 with 60g is OK on days with 15mph or lower. After that, the 6mm with 87g. If you're planning on building, you'd best hurry, 'cause lead times for barrels is increasing. For "off the shelf", I don't know what's available or what the twist rates might be. We can throw out "buy this or that, because it has a twist for the 'heavies' ", but is it readily available? To buy say a .243 Win with a 1-9 or 1-10 and throat it doesn't make much sense, as the existing twist rate will only allow you to accurately shoot bullets that are so long, and after that you'll lose stability. And again, there is little ammo an components 'on the shelf'. So, make up your mind soon so you have the time to gather what you want.

Not completely sure. I don't run them till they are so hot you cant touch them. My last one I had around 1700 rounds and was still shooting well when I sold it. They do a number on prairie dogs.

Got about 1000 on my factory Remington sps 204 barrel that I haven't been nice to and it shows no fire cracking yet. To me, the 204 is a great prairie dog rifle and would be good for the kids to shoot too.

Same cartridges here.
204 shooting 32gr z-max @4190fps
223 shooting 53gr v-max
And sometimes a 22-250 ackley shooting 50gr z-max's @4000fps
I recently traded out 1,500 - 50gr "Z Max" for some badly needed 6mm 105 Bergers. My only concession is that the person I traded to is a real shooter and has his son shooting most of the time. Too bad Hornady quit making them

Right now I'd be getting something you can get ammo for and " IF" you can find it gonna be spendy.
Give you an example how spendy in a good rat patch when the 17hmrs first came out i shot 1500 rounds in 2 days that was 300.00 worth of ammo then.
I sold it and bought a CZ 527 action and built another 17 badger I could reload for about 5.00 for 50 rounds instead of paying 9.00.

Last edited: