Smallbore Silhouette - Factoryville Pa.

top predator

In the event anyone is interested, below is a link ( and a shameless promotion ) to our smallbore silhouette matches in Factoryville, Pa.

if you've never tried it, it's a great way to learn or "re-learn" off hand shooting skills for either target or hunting.

1st time shooters shoot for free!

directions, schedule, information, yadda yadda:
Factoryville Sportsmen's Club

silhouettepic2july10.jpg

Another bump for the smallbore silhouette matches at FSC coming up July 10, 9:00 am practice, 10:00 am matches start. 1st timers shoot for free! See see OP for more details.
some recent range berm "redo"s:
06122011sbsrange3.jpg

06122011sbsrangechicken.jpg

06122011sbsrangepigs.jpg

06122011sbsrangetrukey.jpg

06122011sbsrangeram.jpg

FSCriflehooch.jpg

Range improvements continue, will hopefully be very "Gucci" before the season's end.

Wanted to add to the link in the OP that if anyone is going to attend any matches, the bridge is out on the one of the roads you may customarily use to get to the shooting club. below are some alternate routes.
snipdetourdirections.jpg

detourfscworded.jpg

still have shirts available too:
front
SBTEESFRONT-Copy.jpg

back
SBTEESBACK-Copy.jpg

Our next match is August 7th, 1st time shooters shoot for free. Practice starts 9:00 am, matches start at 10:00am. $6.00 for both matches, soda or water beverages included. Our club house serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner, along with other refreshments. In the July match, we had a record 21 shooters from Pa, NY, and NJ.
This year we'll have another season ending money match after the usual matches on October 9th, I like to call the "Pirkey" challenge...
pirkey2011flyer.jpg

I wanted to this mid season too, but time slipped away from me. Maybe in 2012 instead of 2 Pirkey challenges, a mid season poker shoot. Different suits and numbers written on 5 of the targets in a bank, the best "hand" wins.
For next year, I'm going to set up a local club "championship". It'll be the number of points you shoot at each match, plus 5 bonus points for 5 in a rows, 10 bonus points for 10 in a rows. At the end of the year I'll add them up and have some sort of prize. I figure attending frequently and shooting well will pay off doing the side championship thing.
After running some numbers at the midseason,
So far in 2011, we had a total of 39 different shooters from Pa., NY, and NJ. With a record high of 21 shooters and a low of 12 shooters, there is an average of 15 shooters a match. This is an average of 5 shooters per match greater as compared to the 2010 attendance (10 shooter average), and an increase of 18 different shooters (2010 21 different shooters) at the 2010 mid season point.
October 2011 = __ shooters…………October 2010 = 11 shooters
September 2011 = __ shooters…….September 2010 = 9 shooters
August 2011 = __ shooters…………..August 2010 = 9 shooters
July 2011 = 21 shooters (RECORD)..July 2010 = 15 shooters
June 2011 = 12 shooters………………June 2010 = 12 shooters
May 2011 = 12 shooters……………….May 2010 = 2 shooters
April 2011 = 20 shooters……………..April 2010 = 11 shooters
March 2011 = 14 shooters……………March 2010 DATA NOT AVAILABLE
So it definately looks as though smallbore silhouette is shrinking in popularity nationwide, we are actually growing in my immediate area.
Another thing I changed up just the last match is breaking down the match winner to shooter class. Our AAA shooters clean house each time, so now a match winner is not just the person that has the highest score (I call him the "highest scorer" both in hunting and standard division), but broke it down to match winner in every shooter class.
So now we'll have (theoritcally, including hunting and standard divisions) 10 ways to be able to be a match winner:
2 M
2 AAA
2 AA
2 A
2 B

Now there's hope for a B class shooter to get an "atta boy".
I usually get one of these out as they apply:
matchwinnerexample.jpg

highestshooterexample.jpg

comboaward.jpg

I know it may seem a bit corny, but at least it's something. When returning from the match and getting the scores ready for the NRA and the website, I'll fill in the blanks in the master copy so it looks nice and neat, then email (preferred) or mail out the certificate. I'd like to get something nicer for the shooters, but I also want to keep the entry fee low. Many say $6.00 is dirt cheap, but I just don't want to raise it more and possibly risk losing a few shooters, unless I have to. It's a fine balance between awards and prizes vs. income!

^^^^^take a plane :rolleyes:

another shameless promotion:
Our next match is Sept. 11th, 1st time shooters shoot for free. Practice starts 9:00 am, matches start at 10:00am. $6.00 for both matches, soda or water beverages included. Our club house serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner, along with other refreshments. In the August match, we had 17 shooters, including 4 new shooters to FSC, an 2 junior shooters.

This year we'll have another season ending money match after the usual matches on October 9th, I like to call the "Pirkey" challenge...there are 2 more months left to get qualified as a previous FSC match participant (reason is to keep "ringers" from showing up and taking the pot).
pirkey2011flyer.jpg

thanks to Gun Toters Supply for the prizes!

For next year, I'm going to set up a local club "championship". It'll be the number of points you shoot at each match, plus 5 bonus points for 5 in a rows, 10 bonus points for 10 in a rows. At the end of the year I'll add them up and have some sort of prize. I figure attending frequently and shooting well will pay off doing the side championship thing.

Last edited:
Our final matches of the season will be on Oct. 9th. Practice starts at 9:00am, matches start at 10:00am.
In Sept, we had under our running average of shooters with only 6 shooters - but I'm sure that Sept 11th memorials, clean ups from the recent flooding we have had in our area, and recooperations from a major gun raffle / reason to drink event the night before at the club paid a part in the low turn out.
After the October regular matches are over, there will be a money match with other prizes thereafter, called the Pirkey Challenge.
pirkey2011flyer.jpg

Thanks to Gun Toters Supply in Eynon Pa. for the prizes!
Picture of this year's trophies (Brown center for Standard rifle winner, tan for Hunting rifle winner).
2011pirkeytrophies.jpg

Along with cash, quality ammo, tee shirts, voucher for a free match in 2012, there's a decent prize available for each division for the top three shooters.
Next year I will be running a championship (based on points) for each division / each shooter class and have some sort prize for the champion of each at the end of the season. I hope to have 2 Pirkey Challenges too, one mid season and one at season's end. At the very least, another season ender.
(the gun shop was running out of the hats, they may not be available)

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.