Small rifle primer option in brass

Coldfinger

What's the purpose of the option to have brass with the small rifle primer pocket. I have ordered Peterson brass as it's made only 3 hours away. I see they offered the creedmoor family, xc and 308 with small rifle pockets.

From what I have read in several articles, small primer pockets may not be the way to go if you intend to hunt in colder weather.

From an article in Rifle Shooter by Brian Pierce:

"When temperatures plummet, propellants become increasingly difficult to ignite evenly, particularly those made of a double-base compound containing nitroglycerine. There goes the added consistency you gained by using a Small Rifle primer. Stubborn ignition could theoretically go so far as to cause a slight hangfire in extreme cold. For hunters, however, opting to use standard-size rifle cases perforated with Small Rifle primer pockets is usually a poor decision, unless they live in mild climates and rarely hunt in temperatures below freezing. Using standard Large Rifle primers ensures reliable ignition in just about any temperature. "

link: https://www.rifleshootermag.com/editorial/the-small-rifle-vs-large-rifle-primer-debate/329988

Think of it this way......look at a 532 case with large primer, those case heads last longer due to having more meat around the pocket. Same principle for srp on 470 case head. Some people think srp gives better es/SD. But that could be due to the small flash hole. Not all srp brass has small flash hole however. If you're going to burn slower powders or shoot in freezing temps, stick to lrp for ignition consistency.

Think of it this way......look at a 532 case with large primer, those case heads last longer due to having more meat around the pocket. Same principle for srp on 470 case head. Some people think srp gives better es/SD. But that could be due to the small flash hole. Not all srp brass has small flash hole however. If you're going to burn slower powders or shoot in freezing temps, stick to lrp for ignition consistency.
Does the 450 alleviate this? The hottest SRP as far as I know

I started using Lapua SRP 22-250 cases for both my 22-250 and 22-250AI. The brass lasts a loooooooong time and the ES was better during load development, however, the final tuning was the same between my old Win brass and newer Rem brass.
I can load hotter without pockets becoming loose and the primers are less likely to leak.
I use Federal 205M primers.

Cheers.

I avoid them because of where I live, shoot, and hunt. Feel better with LRP for ignition and don't want to stock two size primers.

Nothing is a guaranty as everyone's experience can be different. However, I have been shooting my 6.5 creed for over 3 years now with CCI br4 small riffle primers for all my hunting with no issues at all.
I also have read tbe articles about possible miss or hang fires so I put a few rounds in the freezer for a few days and took them out and they all fired fine.
I also at the end of a hunt on three different occasions once back at the truck on VERY COLD days took a shot to test reliability and have had no problems so now I havent looked back.

I run Lapua SRP brass in my 6 Creed and my older daughter's 6.5 Creed.
Fed GM205M, H4350 under 105 or 130 Hyb. My 6CM is my go-to coyote gun, and also done well for me on pronghorn. From 4° to 117°, never a hang fire or FTF. Now, not a LOT of shooting at 4°, but quite a bit below the freezing mark.
You could always run a SRP mag primer if you are worried too.
I will take the longer primer pocket life with hot loads all day long.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.