Small rifle primer negatives for 6mm Creed

squeeeeze

FINALLY got some SRP Peterson brass ordered for my 6mm Creed a few days ago. As well as a K&M .062 flash hole deburring tool. Been shooting LRP Peterson brass and the brass is fantastic! Plus it comes with a reusable box which is very nice as well. Love that brass!

Been putting off the SRP for some time and just read on Petersons website last night about a couple negatives. Obviously it helps with low ES & SD but they talk about them not being as reliable as the LRP for hunters, especially in cold weather. It's an aspect I never thought of or heard of until I had already ordered some of course.

The rifle is a hunting rifle which I also love to bring to the range and shoot bugholes with an occasional flyer (due to ES). I'd love to get my ES in single digits but would hate to sacrifice reliability. Has anyone experienced any negatives or ignition reliability issues shooting SRP's?

I've been shooting a 6.5x47 Lapua since 2008 as a hunting rifle.

Never had a problem in freezing conditions, but not hunted with it in truly frozen conditions if you know what I mean.

I've been shooting a 6.5x47 Lapua since 2008 as a hunting rifle.

Never had a problem in freezing conditions, but not hunted with it in truly frozen conditions if you know what I mean.

Good point, the coldest I've ever hunted in was 11 degrees F. That's a one off though and not very often am I hunting less than 32*F. My luck would be the one off. I appreciate your response! Gives me more confidence that the website zapped from me Last night.

I think a lot of it has to do with resistance to change, particularly when that change comes from Europe.

No-one thinks twice about using a 223 Rem or 204 Ruger in frozen conditions and I don't recall hearing issues. Yes, the larger cases hold more powder, but the simple fact is that is it not the volume of powder that is the issue, but the flash of the primer.

As JMW highlights, if you are feeling concerned, load them with magnum spec smalls, I use BR4s in preference.

run a small rifle magnum primer and dont sweat it
That's a good point. That is the 1 primer I don't have, but have seen available.

With a small cartridge like that, will it disrupt the powder column and make it less accurate vs. a regular SRP?

If so would I just be better off sticking with a LRP for accuracy In comparison?

I haven't had any ignition issues yet shooting LRP's in my 6 mm Creed, .260Rem, and 280AI yet.

I just ordered Peterson 6 CM brass yesterday, but went with the LRP. I have plenty of SRPs but would rather use them for my 223 given the current shortage.

I think you'll be fine though!

when we could only get lapua 308 palma brass for small primer I ran it in my 308s, 7mm08 260 and 243 just had to neck down and turn the necks I ran mostly standard small rifle primers one of the 308 liked the magnum better never had a problem with any of them

I just ordered Peterson 6 CM brass yesterday, but went with the LRP. I have plenty of SRPs but would rather use them for my 223 given the current shortage.

I think you'll be fine though!

Have you used any Peterson brass yet? If not you'll love it. I have zero complaints, it was near perfect, flash holes basically perfect, necks not out of round due to coming in the box with padding on top, consistent weights, lengths, etc... Just loaded and went with no prep at all. Super accurate for 1st firings. I like Lapua brass but the box they come in bang around and and flatten the necks.

PLUS, they come with a perfect sized reuse able reloading box . I've been very impressed with that brass and also ordered some for my 280AI.

Have you used any Peterson brass yet? If not you'll love it. I have zero complaints, it was near perfect, flash holes basically perfect, necks not out of round due to coming in the box with padding on top, consistent weights, lengths, etc... Just loaded and went with no prep at all. Super accurate for 1st firings. I like Lapua brass but the box they come in bang around and and flatten the necks.

PLUS, they come with a perfect sized reuse able reloading box . I've been very impressed with that brass and also ordered some for my 280AI.

Yes, it's excellent brass! I've got some 270 Win that I use in my 6.5 Sherman. Huge step up over the hornady brass I had previously used.

I think that you have hit one of the major benefits of the 6 creed, you can have both. Use the srp for range use and shooting bug holes, and safe the lrp for hunting if you are nervous about it. I have never had a problem with ignition because I just started loading for 6 creed, but I'll throw some rounds in the deep freeze and take them to the range and see if it works.

I shot my smallest group in a decade with a Lapua SRP case and a CCI 450 mag primer. It was a 6.5 Creed that came in at .48" @ 400 yds. Mag SRP aren't deficient in accuracy potential.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.