Small rifle magnum primers

I talked with a guy about this the other day and he asked me specifically if they had been sitting on the garage floor, and stated everything you just said here. I would also suspect that even if not stored on the floor, the humidity changes in a garage wouldn't do anything positive for primers. Since mine were stored in a closet in the house, I think it will be OK.
Yeah as long as the primers weren't exposed to a lot of moisture like flooded carpets you should be just fine. You can look on storing carboard boxes on cement floor and they'll warn about mold due to moisture sweeping up from the concrete. But inside a home they should be fine.

Two years ago I was making 256 Newton cases from once fired 270 Win. cases. To find loads for this old timer I need case water weight to run through Quik Load. The case had a WW large rifle installed and I poured the water in weighed the case and set it aside. Couple of weeks later I found the case on the back of my load bench and half the water had evaporated. I dumped out the residual and fired the primer in my rifle. Report was completed normal so I don't believe primers are that susceptible to moisture or they would come in sealed packets.

I talked with a guy about this the other day and he asked me specifically if they had been sitting on the garage floor, and stated everything you just said here. I would also suspect that even if not stored on the floor, the humidity changes in a garage wouldn't do anything positive for primers. Since mine were stored in a closet in the house, I think it will be OK.
I store mine in sealed plastic containers (like food containers) on shelves in my storage shed.
They seem to be very dry when I open to grab more.

May the small rifle magnum primer be used in place of small rifle primers?
I've done extensive testing on all matter of primers in the Many caliber and brand of brass. 80% of the time I've had an increase in velocity. FWIW I've had better SDs in my 6& 6.5 CM with magnum primers

I store mine in sealed plastic containers (like food containers) on shelves in my storage shed.
They seem to be very dry when I open to grab more.
I can understand why you might store the primers out in the shed but there are some other issues you may take into account. Mainly heat and condensation. If you are concerned with safely storing primers in the house then I wouldn't change anything. But sheds get pretty hot and the South is a humid environment. Just some observations. Ultimately it's YOUR household and I wouldn't criticize anyone's choices when it's a viable safety concern.

I can understand why you might store the primers out in the shed but there are some other issues you may take into account. Mainly heat and condensation. If you are concerned with safely storing primers in the house then I wouldn't change anything. But sheds get pretty hot and the South is a humid environment. Just some observations. Ultimately it's YOUR household and I wouldn't criticize anyone's choices when it's a viable safety concern.
Actually its a storage room/loading room in my garage attached to my house that's fully enclosed with wood inside and brick outside walls and walk-in door only.
Pretty dry in there with attic ventilation and doesn't get extremely hot.

May have already been mentioned, but keep in mind not all SR "magnum" primers are actually hotter. Some brands designate "magnum" in SR to merely be a harder cup to prevent slamfires in some semi autos.

Speaking of primers, I just found a bunch of primers stashed away in my reloading room that are about 20-25 years old. How long do primers last ? There are some federal small rifle match, and some Remington large rifle, standard and magnum. Are these still good to shoot ?
No, don't use them. They are dangerous. Send them to me, I am a hazmat disposal center

I've been shooting both large and small rifle, and pistol primers from by dad's collection at 30+ yrs old and my own recent buys, 3 yrs old... with no problems, getting a bang out of all. Storage has always been in a standard metal office file cabinet in my shop or garage.