Small framed hunter custom rifle build

Jason Wells

I'm looking to build a custom hunting rifle and I'm stuck on caliber choice. I live in Virginia and primarily hunt whitetails, every few years I get to hunt elk, and hope to hunt moose/ caribou in the next 5 years, and I'm planning a 2018 South Africa plains game hunt. I weigh about 155lbs. I've got a model 700 in 270 win that shoots fine, and I have 0 recoil issues with. I have a 300 Win Mag TC encore that kicks pretty stout and I don't hit well at all with, I just bought a 300 WSM for experiemtnal purposes and it flat out kicks like hell. I would love to have one rifle that I can pick up with 100% confidence and kill whatever I point it at out of the above list. I know there are hundreds of posts out there like this, but I'm looking forward to feedback on my particular interests.

If you are comfortable with the .270's recoil, you should look into a .280 Ackley Improved. It will push a 168gr 7mm bullet to within around 150 fps of what a 7mm RemMag will, with just slightly more recoil than your .270 Win.

It's also a great whitetail caliber.

The WSM calibers seem to recoil pretty sharply, and have about the same recoil as their full-length magnum counterparts. They also hold just as much powder, and push the same velocities. I have often wondered just why they were ever invented in the first place? Seems pointless to me. But I've also never been a fan of short-mags. The only short-mag I would own would be a 6.5 SS, which is a wildcat cartridge invented by one of our members on here.

I remember a few years back the 280 was talked a lot about, but has drifted off the map recently, I hear it's due to limited factory ammo. I'm heading down the road to re-loading and wouldn't let ammo availability deter me from a great cartridge as long as components are available.

I remember a few years back the 280 was talked a lot about, but has drifted off the map recently, I hear it's due to limited factory ammo. I'm heading down the road to re-loading and wouldn't let ammo availability deter me from a great cartridge as long as components are available.
Over the last couple years people have started to realize just how venerable and capable the .280 AI really is. It is one of my all-time favorite calibers. My next custom build will be a .280 AI. I already have a .25-06 AI, .30-06 AI, and a .300 Ackley Magnum. So, I figured next on the list will be the .280 AI. :D

Components are readily available, provided you can find powder and large rifle primers locally...

Nosler Custom Reloading Brass 280 Remington Ackley Improved 40-Degree

Berger Hunting Bullets 284 Cal 7mm (284 Diameter) 168 Grain VLD Hollow

or if you didn't want to wait a 1½ months for bullets, and money's not an object, these will work great, too.

Cutting Edge Bullets Match Tactical Hunting Bullets 284 Cal 7mm (284

These would also work great...

Nosler E-Tip Bullets 284 Cal 7mm (284 Diameter) 150 Grain Spitzer Boat

Barnes Tipped Triple-Shock X Bullets 284 Cal 7mm (284 Diameter) 140

I had a 280ai that weighed 8.5 lbs scoped. Kicked as hard as my 7wsm. It's currently being rechambered to 7mm-08.

280ai. My 14 year old shoots a custom. I currently download for him with muzzle brake. He will grow into the rifle. I run a 280ai no brake and a 300 win with brake. I have sold almost all my other calibers. I'm a fan of the muzzle brake as I will NOT shoot it without my custom plugs in place first.
Where in VA?

280ai. My 14 year old shoots a custom. I currently download for him with muzzle brake. He will grow into the rifle. I run a 280ai no brake and a 300 win with brake. I have sold almost all my other calibers. I'm a fan of the muzzle brake as I will NOT shoot it without my custom plugs in place first.
Where in VA?

my hang up with muzzle-brakes is the increased muzzle blast and the noise, I always wear ear protection when shooting but never when hunting.

Central Va, Staunton.

Bingo, I am about the same size as the poster and can shoot my 300wm all day long with a break.
On more thing, don't use a radial break, buy one with side ports only.

Why not a radial break? The side-port breaks look cool, but what is the difference in function?

Why not a radial break? The side-port breaks look cool, but what is the difference in function?
Alot of people don't like the radial brakes because they have a 360* blast radius, which, when 1' off the ground, kicks up a huge dust cloud.

Me personally, I never lay prone in the dirt when hunting or shooting, so radial brakes work fine for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.