Small Base Die - Worth the Money?

OK, my 300WSM could use more resizing to chamber properly or I could just back off loads ;) since that is not happening my question is will a small base die set reset the brass dimension at web area better than a body die or will it REALLY help salvage brass? They are pricey so this is a decision maker process. Appreciate the response on the small base die question.
Thx as always to the LRH brain trust!
OK, my 300WSM could use more resizing to chamber properly or I could just back off loads ;) since that is not happening my question is will a small base die set reset the brass dimension at web area better than a body die or will it REALLY help salvage brass? They are pricey so this is a decision maker process. Appreciate the response on the small base die question.

I use small base dues In 223,308 and 30-06 and they do resize for positive chambering in semi auto rifles not for fixing oversized brass due to too much pressure. They will also cause a drop in accuracy as brass will be looser in chamber. Just drop your pressures your not really gaining anything at the expense of you rifle and brass

Loose brass does not cause inaccuracies. Ask the Williamsport world record holder. The chief of ballistics at Sierra said the same thing. That's their opinions not mine. But when in Rome.
Shep

As a benchrest shooter, I would never use brass that needed a small base die.
As a former across the course shooter, and casual plinker, a small base die allows me to use "free" brass from many sources. There's a time and a place for its use... An important hunt, or a match demands good brass.

The only time I use a small base sizing die is when l load for my AR-15 and M-1A

This definitely is a case for a custom die. For the price of the die plus a $25.00 to $30.00
Fee for custom reamming. Your problem solved, head ache gone. Lol. I do not own a PRC but brass is brass and they are not created equally. At the price of good quality brass it is well worth the extra money put into a custom FLS die.. It will save you time and prep time, and gives you peace of mind.
One note on high pressure. High pressure and Velocity are TWO different beast and humans confuse the two. Example: "This may not pertain to your situation." BUT.,,,
A long case neck will cause real high pressures signs, sticky bolts apon insursion,
And extraction, and show signs of bolt slap, flatten primers or pierced primers..
Your AVERAGE velocity will only increase or decrease a few fps and your POI will change from its regular POI. Most people think high pressure eaqals higher velocity. That is not always the case. I hope I never find out what max pressure is on my rigs. Good luck let us know how you solved your problem.

Yes it's worth it. Had to get a small base die for my 6.5-284 Norma or I couldn't get the resized brass to chamber in my Krieger barrel. This made all the difference

I recently found a set of 325 wsm small base dies from rcbs... I can actually size a loaded 300 wsm round thats hard to chamber after a few firings and it works like a charm... smooth feeding and extracting.

Norma brass was Too soft only got 4-5 loads before they wouldn't chamber any more. Hornady was better. Loads are warm but not hot, 8 loads so far and primer pockets still tight. The 325 wsm die seems to be working so far. I've only done one batch so we'll see how many more loads I can get before needing to size again or I get case head separation.

I have the same problem with my 7 saum. does anyone know a company that sells a small base die for a saum? I live in New Zealand so would need to import it.

If you need more horsepower could always get a 300 Weatherby or 300 RUM and Redding dies. worked for me for 30 years. I have never used a small base die and I shoot 308 AR 10 using a Redding die with out any problems

I guess I'm fortunate on the 7RM as my Redding die set came with a body die that works well.
The 280AI is getting clickers so I might order a body die for that.
Dimensionally, I cannot tell what the difference is between FL and Body Dies are. It's impossible to measure on the taper.
Anyone know generally?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.