Slugs - which one is the most accurate and best penetration from a smooth bore?

I have a Versa Max 3.5" with an EO Tech on it that I have been shooting buckshot for hogs and coyotes. I love it. However, I want to try to kill multiples under bait at 75 to 100 yards. Buckshot and a 308 aren't great for this when you want to take down multiples. Just too many wounded that you can't find. With the knock down power and penetration of a slug I want to see how many I can kill with one shot DRT.
Try TSS shot. 3mm has clean kills out to 100. Its expensive is the only downside.

When it comes to the old pumpkin ball rifled slug, I like the federal true ball. It is full-size and has been reliably accurate for me back in the day For penetration though you cannot beat the Brenkee. If you want the most penetration, then go with the 3 inch, I shot a bear with one and it was just sick.

The rifling on a rifled slug is nothing more than something to allow it to squeeze through a tight choke.

if you have a barrel with a choke tube, the rifle tube will improve the accuracy of the rifled or Brenkee slug. It probably does not impart enough spin to work well with sabot slugs.

those are my opinions, your mileage may vary

In my short, smooth barreled 870 I tried a variety of loads years back. Remington Slugger 3" rifled slugs were the clear winner for me. The 2 3/4 grouped ok, just about 1.5 feet low and right at 75 yards. The 3" hammered them right in. Easy to make free hand hits on a paper plate at 75 yards. Which was good enough for me at the time where I was using it for deer hunting.

If you can find them on planet Earth, Federal Tru-Ball's shot outstanding out of my smooth bore and had one heck of an impact when they hit anything...

Back when I used a smooth bore Remington 870, I tried may slugs to see what would give the best accuracy. The Brenneke was by far the most accurate. Probably killed 12 Whitetails before switching to a rifled slug barrel with Saboted slugs. Never found a slug, complete pass throughs, with a lot of internal damage. Every gun shoots different, but the Brennekes would be a good start.

I am surprised you have not had a pass through. Years ago I lined up three oak trees which were five inches across per each tree. The slug went through the first two and stuck in the third. I dug out a silver dollar sized mushroomed piece of lead. After seeing this I thought a pass through on hogs would not be a problem. Am I wrong? What choke are you all using?

In a 1187 with rifled barrel I have had best accuracy and effectiveness with Winchester premium Sabot slug. That's on deer.

Actually, when I want a slug to perform I use my 18" inch Ithica Mod 37 Deerslyer, it's the one I always take on our camping trips/camper with my wife when we drive Alaska backcountry. For it, I picked Brenneke Black Magic Magnum 12 Gauge 3" 1-3/8 oz Lead, Rifled Slug, now that's some serious stuff for critters that bite, and yes even the ones that don't. ;) They are a very, very good slug, and out-classed Foster-type slugs which are great general prepose slugs however they most certainly are not in Brenneke's class. The Mod 37 is a tack-driver (for a shotgun) with its rifled barrel out... way farther than you might think. If a big Bear challenges this lead pumper he's going home with a sore butt for sure. 🤕

HPIM3378 - Copy.JPG
HPIM3380.JPG

I've had really good luck with Winchester sabots out of both smooth bore and rifled barrels. It never made much sense to me out of a smooth bore but they shoot good. If I remember right they are Winchester copper solids.

General warning is to be sure your barrel is rated to shoot a copper solid slug. Since they do not "give" barrels can split.
Thanks Muddyboots. I didn't know that. I appreciate you adding that quickly I would hate to mislead someone and have them get hurt or damage their equipment

I've had really good luck with Winchester sabots out of both smooth bore and rifled barrels. It never made much sense to me out of a smooth bore but they shoot good. If I remember right they are Winchester copper solids.
I found an old box for my smooth bore 20ga and they are actually Winchester super X and they are rifled. It's been a long time since I bought any. I guess my memory isn't that great. Sorry for plugging up the thread with my ramblings, just wanted to clear that up.

Recent Posts