Slug-gun Accuracy

wotaguy

A maker of custom slug guns, Tar-Hunt, says it is necessary to pull down strongly on the fore-end for accurate rifled slug/sabot shooting. Their guns have bedded actions and free floated barrels. Could the same result be achieved through either a very heavy barrel, a shorter barrel, a barrel band, a different bedding method, or what?

A maker of custom slug guns, Tar-Hunt, says it is necessary to pull down strongly on the fore-end for accurate rifled slug/sabot shooting. Their guns have bedded actions and free floated barrels. Could the same result be achieved through either a very heavy barrel, a shorter barrel, a barrel band, a different bedding method, or what?

My bone stock rem 1187 12g with a smooth bore and rilfe sights will hit the vitals on a NY white tail at 100m all day long. My wifes 1100 20g will do better, its riffled and will do that at 200m. If you have to shoot further than that get a muzzle loader.

Congrats to both you and your wife for shooting so well, but the gun I'm using is a Savage 210 which seems to shoot better with extreme downward pressure. The question is whether this can be achieved internally instead of pulling down on the sling.

Congrats to both you and your wife for shooting so well, but the gun I'm using is a Savage 210 which seems to shoot better with extreme downward pressure. The question is whether this can be achieved internally instead of pulling down on the sling.
Oh is that there new one built on the 110 action? I have heard good things. Did you try a bunch of diffrent loads? I thought that shotgun used the accustock?

No, it's the original. Just a floated barrel bolt-action in a wooden stock.It shoots all over the place unless it's held down.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.