Slipping Burris Signature rings?

NotEnoughTriggerTime

I have a friend who asked me to install his scope on his new 700 Remington in 7mm RUM. (Its a sporter barrel model, mounted on a lightweight synthetic stock - can you say OUCH!)

I will probably go with a "turn-in" one piece base for this setup, along with an ocular pad to help buffer the dreaded "scope eye brow cut".

The scope he chose for it is a Leupold Vari-X III, 3.5x10x50. He isn't into long range stuff, so I don't need sloping bases, or anything like that.

I used the Burris Signature rings (the ones with the self aligning bushings)on my last scope mount and really liked them, and have had zero problems with them, but it was on a 22-250 with a lot less recoil.

1) Has anyone who has used the Burris Signature rings had them slip under recoil?

I want to keep the scope as low as possible, maybe 1/8" above the barrel at the bell end (50mm, non AO)

2) What scope ring height should I use?

Thanks!

I have the Burris Signature rings on a custom 7STW. With about 1,000 rounds down the tube I have had no problems whatsoever.

Other than the fact that they look a little bulky, I think that they are a great design that can solve/prevent many problems.

I have also put them on many other rifles for my shooting buddies and have yet to hear a complaint.

VH

I have them on my 7.82 Warbird and sporter weight 7mm Rem Mag no problems at all. They seem like they would be far less likely to slip than plain steel rings. I would suggest the two piece double dovetail. The two piece bases use all the mounting screw holes and leave more finger room for loading.

I have the weaver style on my 338 Lapua and have not had any problems and don't think i will.IF intsalled probperly and make sure the inserts are lined up i don't think you would have a problem on any gun.

I used them for several years on my 375 H&H M70. Scopes ranged from lightweights to mid-weights. No worries at all.

Be sure to clean them initially as they do come a bit greasy from the package.

I've heard of problems in sub-freezing conditions but these accounts have all been anecdotal and I suspect poor rifle maintenance as opposed to insert failure. My experience has been nothing but positive, even in freezing weather.

Whoever first thought of synthetic ring inserts should, in my opinion, receive a Knighthood!

~Holmes

I have Burris Signature rings on a 300 RUM with a S & B scope. Spent half a day at the shooting range when I first got them and couldn't figure out why I couldn't get the thing sighted in. The scope was moving in the rings. I was shooting a 3500 fps 165 grain bullet that produced significant recoil. I cured the problem by applying automotive spray trim adhesive to the top portion of the plastic inserts. I then assembled things and let it set for a week. I would also recommend double dove tail rings. The easiest way to tell if the scope is slipping is put a pencil mark on the top of the scope next to the front of the ring. Check it after two or three shots. The pencil mark on my gun moved away from the ring about 1/32" with each shot.

I'll second what holmes said CLEAN them first. I had a friend that installed a set without cleaning them first on a 7mm STW, they slipped. Took them back off and cleaned them and they have been fine every since.
Chris

I clean the contact surface of the inserts with thinner, scuff them up with 220 grit, and only use matt finish scopes. As added insurance, on my big kicking, big scoped rifles, I add a scope level behind the rear scope ring, slid up tight to the ring and tightened.

Awesome rings. Zippo for slippage..period.

I would go with the Weaver/Zee style with a hard kicker. The turn in rings will eventually wear and create slop which you don't need. that is a common problem with turn in rings from any manufacturer.

I also use their reg. Burris w/o inserts and they work just fine too.
Jerry

Ive got a set on a 300jarret and on a 300 rum neither have slipped , but i took them off of the 300rum and when i reinstalled the heads would pop off of the screws i had several do this. I looked at the instructions and maybe i should have done that first they give an inch lb torque setting that seemed rather low but must be important. I replaced the screws and have not had any problems since, i love the rings. The screws when they were punched for the toquex recess were almost punched through the bottom of the screw head, and the metal was paper thin. ebb

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.