Sling studs mounted sideways

I once thought as you do. You would be surprised how well it works. Especially with the heavy weight rifles.

These are actually called "flush cups". They are usually installed on tactical rifles but are starting to catch on with hunters and other shooters. I have a Manners stock with 2 flush cups on the left hand side, opposite the bolt knob. This allows the stock to lay flat against your back while carrying it from the side mounted sling. Also, the other advantage is they are flush with the stock surface, hence the name. These actually work similar to how a socket attaches to a ratchet wrench.

I don't know about the OP, but the cups are NOT what I was referring to. I was referring to the quick-connect lugs located INSIDE of the cups. With the sling attached to the center front lug, and left-side rear lug, MY rifle DOES actually look fairly decent. With the bolt on the right side, having the rear of the sling attached to the left side balances it out somewhat, cosmetically speaking. And functionally speaking, it hangs off my right shoulder pretty well, too. For a get-a-shot-off-faster front hang, I'd use both left side lugs, but would need a longer length sling.

One reason to want the sling swivels mounted on the side of the stock is to allow you to use a detachable bottom metal with a 5 or 10 round magazine. Having the swivels on the side allows you to carry your rifle without the magazine digging into your back or side. Another reason is to allow the rifle to lay flat across your back (much more comfortable). You can mount the sling on the opposite side than the bolt handle. This allows you to sling your rifle and not have the bolt handle dig into your back.

By using flush cups and putting them on both sides, it allows you to change the sling, or remove the sling very quickly. It also allows you to easily change the sling to another set up with having to disconnect the sling from the swivels.

I can't believe this isn't comon knowledge over on this forum.

change the sling to another set up with having to disconnect the sling from the swivels.

That's EXACTLY the reason that I'm not liking the "cup" style swivels! I like the idea of being able to change the sling setup with-OUT having to "unlace" the sling from the swivels. I'm NOT understanding why someone would NOT want to use the quick connect/disconnect feature of the lug-attached swivels, which is only available IF the swivels are attached to the SLING itself - NOT the STOCK!

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.