Sleeping pad recommendations?

Wound up going with the exped down mat

And how is it?

I bought the Klymit insulated static v luxe sl one but decided to return it, the R value is good, but it's misleading, as the mat isn't a consistent thickness, meaning parts of it will have that R value, but parts will have 0 R value.

I ended up buying the Exped megamat lite, the one that's 4.7" thick, R value I believe, was 5.3.

Don't have it yet but am excited for this thing, I love the idea of having that extra thickness and was surprised at how it packed and the weight for the very large size of this thing.

But I was really really on the edge with this vs. that down mat, I'd like to hear what you think of that. It has better R value but is thinner at 3.5", though that's still pretty thick in sleeping pad world.

I have the nemo tensor insulated. The square wide one. It's titties. No problems there.

For other circumstances, I have my old military thermarest foam mat. It's like sleeping directly on the ground, but it makes a good field stool when glassing.

Hard to beat the Big Agnes Q Core Pad, most comfortable pad I've ever owned. Especially with their sleeping bag system that attaches to the pad to keep you from sliding off. I'm a side sleeper, so most other pads aren't very comfortable for me.

I guess I'd first ask where do you do most of your backpack hunting? Do you hike in, then hunt from one camp? Or, are you on the trail shifting locations daily?

The Pacific Northwest in cold, drizzly conditions? Arizona deserts? Rocky Mountains in snow?

Many pads are sort of all-arounders. But some are definitely better suited for various conditions than others IMO.

As to your movement, it's one thing to hump in and then back out a big, plush pad. It's another thing entirely to bundle up your entire camp on your back daily hauling it around the boonies.

BTW, for hunting, which is usually in colder temperatures, get a sleep mattress or pad with at least an R-5 rating.
These days reputable mattress or pad companies give an accurate "R" (insulation) rating based on international rating standards so you can accurately compare the warmth of mattresses.

Last edited:
I have used the Thermarest neoair for backpacking and it has been great. I've mainly used it for early season Deer in the high country of Nevada and colorado. I have used it in late November for coues as well in arizona.

I just returned from a Wyo turkey hunt and slept on my old school thermarest in the back of my truck. Slept like a baby! I use a Neoair when backpacking.

ThermaRest. They have different models/weights. Generally the more comfort you want, the more weight, so you decide how much comfort you're willing to pack.

I have one pad, a Thermarest Neoair Xtherm (size large). R-value 6.9 (I think the woman's version is higher but I'm not a small fella and don't want to hang off), ~1.25 pounds (I believe). Yes, it's nosier than foam and down pads but my bag muffles the sound pretty well.

The only other pad I'd consider would be one of the Exped Duras or Ultras.

Last edited: