Sleeping pad recommendations?

DXHI

Looking at the Ether Light XT . Needing something for a bad back and lots of cushion. Thoughts on this one?
Ether Light XT Insulated Air Sleeping Pad – Sea to Summit

Nemo Tensor. Packs down to about the size of a Nalgene bottle

Those mats seem expensive? Is that the norm or are they really that Good? Is there a budget one that's close? I have my old foam Cabelas cot mat that's crazy comfortable but also the Size of two sleeping bags. I am interested in a thicker packable mat for back reasons as well. Do the air mats feel weird or wobbly when sleeping on them? I always found myself sleeping next to the old air mats I tried Back in the day. Hope I'm not hijacking you thread DXHI!

Expensive but worth it in my experience. They are a lot better now compared to 20 years ago. I grew up on an old 1" blowup thermorest and when I was 15 years old it was good but now in my 40's I was plush. I have a 4" that has a foot pump inside that mat and I can get it pretty stiff so no wiggling around.

this is what I use. It isn't made for cold weather but I'm in CA and during deer season it's rare to get below 30* so it is fine for me. When I start drawing out of state I will be looking for a cold weather pad....this one isn't for cold weather.

Last edited:
I've used a neoair on several sheep, goat, and elk hunts and slept like a baby! It's super light and compact.

I've used a ton of sleeping pads and the Big Agnes Q-Core SLX in long /wide is very comfortable and has good insulation. It has larger outside tubes to keep you centered and is thick enough you can sit on it without your butt hitting the ground. 2 seasons now and still good. I put tyvek under it .

Last edited:
I personally like the wide and don't mind packing a few extra ounces to be more comfortable when sleeping. I've been know to pack 2 pads if I know I'm not going more then 5 miles back and on a short 2-3 day trip

Are yall using the extra wide or the regular width

I use regular width, but I am a regular width guy. I think it also depends a little on your sleeping bag. If you are a back sleeper in a mummy bag then the extra width is just extra weight and wasted space. If you prefer a wider bag or quilt then it might make more sense to get the extra wide. Its all about trade offs and what is important to you. I personally like extra long everything because I am 6'1 and don't like my feet going of the end and want that insulation between them and the ground.

I use wide and long. It helps me sleep better and I firmly believe a good nights rest will make your back country hint much better.

I have a contrary opinion on this matter, I like to pull the frame out of my back pack and sleep on my pack in combination with a thermarest z-lite. The reason I like the z-lite is because I can't pop it, and its still one of the litest mats I can buy. Its cheap, so I don't feel back beating it up either. I'll wrap it around my rifle as a protective case on the hike in. I am biased though, I used to be a climbing guide when I was in my early 20s, and I would always pop my inflatable mats with ice tools or crampons, or melt a hole in one when a stove tipped over. Too many cold nights after these things deflate. I just buy the foam ones now, and use my pack for some extra padding when needed. They are great, I carry it with me while I hunt and lay/sit on it while glassing. Sometimes the opportunity is such that I can take a prone shot from it. All around very useful tool.

Not a lot of cushion though...

I picked up a folding foam pad and cut it in half. I gave the other half to my brother. I use it for sitting on when glassing or for lunch/dinner time. It only adds a couple oz's and goes in the bottom of my pack. I also use it for laying on when shooting if needed. Still use my Q-core SLX no matter what, very comfortable.

SectionHiker has good reviews on sleeping pads. I have multiple Therm-a-Rest pads, and they have a great reputation among the ultralight and through-hiker communities. Their inflatable pads are expensive, but they do have a good warranty. I try to buy used or on sale (or use a 20% REI coupon). For me the NeoAir short was to fiddly trying to use my pack to insulate/cushion my legs. The regular NeoAir was long enough for me at 5'-10" height, but my elbows hung off the edges, so I gave that one to my son and went to the Large NeoAir, which is more comfortable for the width. I believe that they may have a Regular/Wide version now. I have lots of nights on the NeoAir. I'm a cold sleeper and find that it's not warm enough for me much below freezing. The Women's NeoAir has a higher R-value, so if the size works, it's a warmer pad. I bought a used NeoAir XTherm, which should be warmer below freezing, but I have yet to use it. Many augment their inflatable pads with a closed-cell foam pad in cold weather, and the foam pad can also provide protection from punctures.

Recent Posts