Sleeping in a hammock

Weight is basically the same, but, hammocks pack easier. I cram my hammock and insulation into every little pocket of space inside my pack.

A rolled up sleeping pad or tent takes up a lot of room.

I'm using a small bivy sack that has a hammock integrated in to it. It'll pitch on a surface as well when there aren't any trees. However, I just backed a kickstarter for the Rhino Wolf 2.0. It's a tent, sleeping pad, quilt that are all size compatible so you only pack exactly what you need.

As a kid i had a hammock tent. LOVED it, until i was caught in a legit thunderstorm and woke up flipping because the top held more water than i weighed....that really really sucked because it takes a good bit to even wake up and understand that you flipped and the zipper is opposite of where it was when you went to sleep. Then of course, now that youre sleeping on the roof that is pooling with the downpour of rain.

For me now I'd love to try again but my knees would need support under them because if i slept lock kneed like a hammock will make you, there wouldn't be much hiking after that.

The last hammock I've slept in is my LL Bean rope hammock strung up under my pergola. Before that I slept on a canvas hammock on the US Brig Niagara a reconstructed 1812 US warship.

Didn't really like either.
Eric B.

Last year I had a spider infestation that I couldn't get a handle on right away,

so I slept every night in my Clark NX150,
and then just stayed in it for a long time
3-4 months any ways.

IT WAS AWESOME

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.