Sleeping Bag ???

chain

Looking to get a sleeping bag for fall/winter hunting backpacking. I was thinking of a temp. rating of 0+. I am 6' 4" and in the fall about 240 lbs. I would like it to compress as small as possible for packing. Wieght is also an issue, my legs aren't young anymore. All advice appreciated. Thank you

I'm definitely no expert on this but I'm investigating the same thing and I work with a guy who does a lot of mountaineering (Himalaya's, Patagonia, Swiss Alps, etc.) and he claims that you can't beat the Marmot sleeping bags. They have at least 1 that is rated for 0 degrees F and a couple of mountaineering bags that are rated for -20 and -40 degrees F (you could always unzip). He also recommended getting a silk sack to put inside of the bags which will help keep the bags clean and gives you about another 5 degrees of warmth. They also come in Long sizes which I think go to about 6' 6". He says it's important to keep them dry because they're down and once they're wet they're not nearly as warm. He has one and says that at -20 degrees F he sleeps very nicely in a tent.

Cross

I don't use down bags anymore sense I started using horses so I don't know what is the best today but there are a couple things I will say. The North Face makes a fine line of sleeping bags both down and artificial fill and don't think you could go wrong with one as I have used them for years and have a artificial bag that I use today. The other thing is give some serious thought to the -20 and -40 bags. I have never owned one that would make you comfortable at the advertized temperature. My -20 is good to zero when in a tent and less when without cover. If you hunt early fall and have more rain then snow and your living out of your backpack the down bags if wet are worthless.

Good luck on your choice

Looking to get a sleeping bag for fall/winter hunting backpacking. I was thinking of a temp. rating of 0+. I am 6' 4" and in the fall about 240 lbs. I would like it to compress as small as possible for packing. Wieght is also an issue, my legs aren't young anymore. All advice appreciated. Thank you

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Western Mountaineering makes some of the best bags in the world -very lightweight and compressable w/ 850+ goosedown and three different exterior materials to suit your weather conditions.
I have a WM mity-lite rated to 40* and i'm getting ready to order a sycamore mf [micro-fiber] model rated to 25* ,i can use the mity-lite and the sycamore together for mountain winter camping.
Get yourself a quality down coat [WM] to make the bag more even more usefull.

Our countries ecomony is suffering badly partly due too people not buying american -i buy american when i feel the product is -as good- or better -and i feel that WM is better than most sleeping bags.
Trust me you could sell a WM bag for only a small loss if need be -you very rarely ever see a WM bag for sale.
Buy AMERICAN !! -Mike

Back to say i've never read/heard of a WM bag that didn't live up to it's temp. rating .

Synthetic bags don't compress very well -and over time they lose their lofting ability -so not as warm -no bag will keep you warm if you let your bag get wet..

Synthetic bags don't compress very well -and over time they lose their lofting ability -so not as warm -no bag will keep you warm if you let your bag get wet..

Synthetic bags don't compress as well as down but with a compression bag you can get them reasonable. All bags loose there loft with time but can be recovered with a good cleaning. In a wet or damp environment a synthetic filled bag absorbs less moisture then down and will dry much faster. If weight and size is the priority then a good down bag is the way to go but in a damp environment they don't perform as well as most synthetics.

Thanks Guys. The "Base Bag" looks like it fill fit my needs perfectly. Calling Kifaru today. Thanks again

I will add that I own and use bags by Western Mountaineering, Integral Designs, Feathered Friends and, best of all, Valandre. I also had an original, US-made Marmot Mtn. bag for many years.

My choice for hunting and a few other uses, is the Integral Designs North Twin/Andromeda Overbag combo, depicted on their website in the "special" section. This is the best synthetic bag(s) I have ever used or seen in 45 years of active backpack camping.

I prefer good down bags for most uses and Valandre of France currently makes the finest I have seen, with ID, WM and maybe FF right up there. ID makes their bags in a long/broad size that would be perfect for a really big guy and I prefer their "broad" bags for my hunting uses...am into my fourth year with mine and am totally happy with them.

I have used a whack of Kifaru gear, but, not their sleeping bags, so, cannot say anything about them. I would say, tho', that many synthetic bags often are not as "warm" as the makers suggest and I would opt for a warmer bag if my uses went to -0 temps.

Down bags work just fine in damp climates as I have found in B.C., but, require more care and cost more, however, they tend to last longer, so...............

I bought a synthetic 0 degree back last year and froze my but off. I ended up hiking 6 miles back to my rig to pack my 30 pound elk hunter bag to my spike camp. Don't skimp on the rating or you will be sorry.

Imo, western mountaineering all the way, and a down bag will last at least 5 times longer than synthetic.

Purchased a North Face goose down 4 season some 20yrs ago and its still one hell of a good bag.

For me goose down is the only way to go.

Had some very comfortable warm nights in the Himalayas and the alps over the years.

My advice is pay the bucks and get a good nights sleep.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.