Sleeping bag or blankets for cot in wall tent?

I've been throwing around the idea of putting my canvas cutter on top of my cot. It has a comfortable 3-4 inch foam pad in it already. I've used it several times on the ground in weather down into the low 40's and it worked great with my current bag( 40 degree rated). I'm just not sure about the fit on the cot. It would give me a layer of canvas between the cot and foam pad then I could zip it completely up to hold in more heat if it gets extremely cold. I can also roll everything up in the canvas cutter for a easily transported sleeping kit. One friend that has been owns a furniture store and took a down twin sized mattress topper he put on his cot and said it worked great keeping the cold from coming up and keeping him warm. I'll definitely be getting at least one new bag rated -20 or -40 And a nice merino wool blanket. I'm going to try the canvas cutter on the cot this week at the house and see how it fits. Again thank you to everyone for there recommendations.

I throw a space blanket down on a cot first. Then a thick Navajo type wool rug that just happened to be a bit larger than my cot. Then a good 0° rectangle bag. I've slept in -15f outside temp without a heat source comfortably. Nothing worse than waking up hot and wet from sweat in my opinion.

The thick memory foam type pads everyone is mentioning sound like a better alternative to the Navajo rug but I like my bed roll for down here in the dust.

I'll be north of Craig as well, for 3rd Rifle season. I'm probably going to drag my rv trailer up there this year. Too many moving parts to keep a CPAP running for a week in an outfitters tent for me any more.
Best of luck to you!