Sleeping bag or blankets for cot in wall tent?

Absolutely, a foam pad on the cot. I have always used two sleeping bags. Two bags good down to about +20. If it gets super cold , put one bag inside the other. If you get one bag that's a - 0 type & the weather moderates you will be too hot all night long. I have been there many times.

I have spent hundreds of nights sleeping on the ground from the tropics to -30 below on glaciers and many mountain ranges. Get yourself a duel bag system so you can adjust from +40 to -0 like Dom has mentioned. They have mummy bags that fit into each other to adjust to the temp. Also get a good pad. You can use on the ground or for for comfort and most important heat loss. I personally like an "Air Pad" over solid foam. They are about 1" thick and self inflating . Rolls up tight for space on your pack and very good insulator.

Whatever bag you choose, if in a base camp, buy at least 20 degrees colder than you think you need. The bag ratings are like a Candyland spinner on what score they use. Absolutely put a foam pad on cot to prevent cold coming up from floor into your back and kidneys, this is a must. I also found bringing a fleece throw can be insurance by placing in bag as an additional liner. Huge improvement in warmth. Buy bigger to allow more room for adding liners, wearing extra clothing plus more wiggle room. When you hit rack after hard day, you tend to move around a bit until you get "comfortable".

Watch camofire.com for sales on bags, all types and weather ratings.

I have spent hundreds of nights sleeping on the ground from the tropics to -30 below on glaciers and many mountain ranges. Get yourself a duel bag system so you can adjust from +40 to -0 like Dom has mentioned. They have mummy bags that fit into each other to adjust to the temp. Also get a good pad. You can use on the ground or for for comfort and most important heat loss. I personally like an "Air Pad" over solid foam. They are about 1" thick and self inflating . Rolls up tight for space on your pack and very good insulator.
Ha! Len, our comments crossed in E-Space! Basically same thoughts!

I would go with a bag.

I don't rely on heat overnight. If the stove does run overnight you can unzip the bag partially to let body heat out.

In the area you are going, as you probably know, it could be 30s and 40s at night or below zero. It could be clear and sunny or blizzard! I have hunted north of Craig some, and it also can get very windy around the area.

We had no heat at night. Heavy rectangular bag and that canvas tar worked great. 0-minus 10 below. Don't substitute blue tarps, tried that at first. They sweat. Also with the size I mentioned you don't need a foam pad

Tarps Now $115 bucks free shipping. 10x16. Fold in half you got a 8x10 doubled. 8 foot long 10 foot wide. Lay your bag down fold the 5 foot over the bag. You will sleep like a baby.
Rich

I would go with a bag.

I don't rely on heat overnight. If the stove does run overnight you can unzip the bag partially to let body heat out.

In the area you are going, as you probably know, it could be 30s and 40s at night or below zero. It could be clear and sunny or blizzard! I have hunted north of Craig some, and it also can get very windy around the area.
A couple of the guys I'm going with have hunted there several times and said the same. One year it was 30 at night and other years there was a foot of snow and sub zero wind chills.

Last edited:
Whatever bag you choose, if in a base camp, buy at least 20 degrees colder than you think you need. The bag ratings are like a Candyland spinner on what score they use. Absolutely put a foam pad on cot to prevent cold coming up from floor into your back and kidneys, this is a must. I also found bringing a fleece throw can be insurance by placing in bag as an additional liner. Huge improvement in warmth. Buy bigger to allow more room for adding liners, wearing extra clothing plus more wiggle room. When you hit rack after hard day, you tend to move around a bit until you get "comfortable".

Watch camofire.com for sales on bags, all types and weather ratings.
I frequent camofire " probably too much".

Tarps Now $115 bucks free shipping. 10x16. Fold in half you got a 8x10 doubled. 8 foot long 10 foot wide. Lay your bag down fold the 5 foot over the bag. You will sleep like a baby.
Rich
I do have a 10x 16 canvas tarp I'll throw in also. Thanks for the advice