Sleeping bag or blankets for cot in wall tent?

ddman

I'm heading on my first Elk hunting trip in Colorado this October ( 2nd Rifle). I've got a teton xxl cot and a canvas cutter dominator. I'm trying to decide whether to buy a nice sleeping bag or to get some nice wool type blankets. I've done plenty of summer, spring & fall camping just never anything where the temps dropped below 40. I have a Davis wall tent with a stove on the way. I can't do mummy type sleeping bags but the large rectangular one I have now gives me plenty of room to move it's just rated at 50 though. I'm a large guy 6'4" 290lbs currently and need some room to move around when I sleep. What is everyone using?

Bag over blanket like above. In a tent and cot I use a rectangle bag.
I have the same cot and I go
Cot- pad- blanket- bag with another blanket I can throw on top.
Negative 40 during second season would be a stretch but be prepared for temps that could dip to or below zero.
You should be toasty with a stove

I also go blanket on the cot, me in the bag on top and as Andrew said if it's cold another blanket on top. I only wear my light weight base layers in the bag since you want your body heat to get into the bag.

2nd season is hit or miss depending on where you are and altitude.

I've had lows in the 40s and dry-- but I've seen lows around 0 with 2 feet of snow--so I suggest to take a good -20 to 0 degree bag and some blankets-- a good foam pad, and if needed you can wear thermals in your bag-- I sleep with a beanie on in a tent too.

If you are heating the tent, things change -- but be aware or relying on a wood stove, several years we've had fire restrictions still during hunting season and wood burning stoves aren't allowed. Watch fire restrictions and consider a propane heater as a back up option .

All this is assuming you aren't packing in. If packing in, look for good lightweight gear - but it will cost you

Years ago had same situation. i bought a canvas tarp, big enough to fold in half. Put it down first. Then my heavy bag and folded the other half over the bag. That was 30+ years ago still have it in good shape. Only ben used for this. Make sure big enough. 8x14 should cover. It works and it lasts. Bought mine at tractor supply. On line should find one

Thanks for the advice. I was leaning towards blankets and a new bag but wanted to hear some first hand experience. We will be around Craig CO. We are not packing in. We have several buddy heaters for backup if wood burning isn't allowed.

Recent Posts