TriggerTime426

I'm looking to buy a "budget" sleeping bag(for colder weather) 100-150$ range, and what I've come up with so far is a wiggys acu marpat 0°, a slumberjack up wind 0°,a slumberjack boundary -20°,a alps mountaineering blaze-20°, a mountain hardwear lamina 0° I'd like them to be decently light say 3-6lbs and compact for my pack....wondering if anyone has any imput on these bags which on is better, your experience with them etc. Or if there's something better than theses in the parameters.

I have used both Wiggys and the MH lamina. If you're looking for burly and raw "survivability" go Wiggys, if you're backpacking at all then MH Lamina, way more packable. I like the wiggys for cold weather truck or snow machine hunting but if I'm walking at all the lamina comes with. Wiggys can also be double bagged with their "fortress" set up, which I have used down to -30 with comfort, not many bags can do that. My 2 companions had single bags and tossed/turned the whole trip.

Great input....How cold are you able to sleep in the lamina/bare bag wiggys, and does it just compress much better than the wiggys? What wiggys bag do you have?

I looked into all the ones you mentioned 2 or 3 years ago. I ended up with a Kifaru bag. I have no complaints. Slept like a baby in 15 deg weather with 30mph winds in my hillenburg tent.

Not sure that "budget" and cold weather technically go together but of those you listed the MH is probably the best choice.
I'd save up for a bit longer and buy something a bit better. The REI co op down 0 is a good bag for the price. Also be sure to have a very good sleeping pad. I like the thermarest Xtherm a lot.

Sorry, I don't know the wiggys model as it was secondhand, the MH lamina I have is actually rated 10 or 15 degrees I think and the coldest I have gone is probably 15-20 degrees. The MH is comfortable with a quality pad, I also use the X Therm that Cahunter805 likes. Great support for side sleeping with a lot of insulation.

Ha ya I realize budget and awesome bag don't necessarily go hand in hand the MH and wiggys seem to have pretty good reviews and the MH lamina is on sale for 147 right now so I'll proly go with that oneven based on your info....it will be for second season elk in Colorado

I don't think you'll regret it, when compared to down a quality synthetic bag will weigh more and be less packable, but it will still keep you warm when wet and costs a lot less. As long as you're good with those trade offs then the MH lamina sounds like it would work. I'd rather have a synthetic bag with a great sleeping pad then a down bag and a garbage pad. Sleep comfort is really about the whole system. For me that's my merino baselayers, sleeping bag, Xtherm pad and inflatable memory foam pillow. Totally worth it for a restful night and staying warm.

Hunting partner bought one of these from SG and was warm for the first time I can remember since he usually complains non stop how cold he was at night. Not sure if this one but it was rated for -30F which we all know is anybody's guess on how that rating was done. But it shut him up from whining so I will recommend it! 😂This is for a drive in tent camp setup so no worries on how big it was.
Sportsman Guide -30 Bag

Ya i have a big heavy alps outdoorz -25 bag and it works great, but it's literally bigger and heavier than my whole package half way loaded

Recent Posts