Sleeping Bag for Large Guys

Guys,

Looking for a sleeping bag recommendation. I'm fairly large at 5'11" 250 and I like room in my bag. I've been using a Big Agnes Summit Park 15 (ie rated to 15F) for the last year or so and I love it except it has no insulation on bottom which requires the use of the Big Agnes Air Mattress or similar sleeping pad on bottom (ie Big Agnes Sleep System). I would prefer a similar sized bag but insulated all the way around. The Big Agnes bag specs fitting a person up to 78" with shoulder girth of 80.5" and hip girth of 75". I've looked at Mountain Hardware, Marmot, and North Face but haven't really seen anything like I am looking for. What bags / manufacturers do yall suggest?

Josh

Have you thought of getting two identical bags and zipping those together....my bag is standard width...but zip that second on and it's like a twin bed...

I called and discussed with Big Agnes. They suggested the new Torch Light bags that you can "unzip" to achieve the desired size. Per them the bag temp rating was based on "unzipped" scenario. The lowest rated bag is only 20F, which is fine for me, but with the largest expansion it is still 10 inches smaller in diameter than my current bag. I like my current bag size so much I am not sure I am ready to go backwards.

yeah I thought about doubling up bags. I guess I may look at this more unless somebody suggests something else.

Cabelas has some large styles bags. Mines a outfitter series I think. Rated to zero works well for me

Guys,

Looking for a sleeping bag recommendation. I'm fairly large at 5'11" 250 and I like room in my bag. I've been using a Big Agnes Summit Park 15 (ie rated to 15F) for the last year or so and I love it except it has no insulation on bottom which requires the use of the Big Agnes Air Mattress or similar sleeping pad on bottom (ie Big Agnes Sleep System). I would prefer a similar sized bag but insulated all the way around. The Big Agnes bag specs fitting a person up to 78" with shoulder girth of 80.5" and hip girth of 75". I've looked at Mountain Hardware, Marmot, and North Face but haven't really seen anything like I am looking for. What bags / manufacturers do yall suggest?

Josh
Have you looked at the TETON Sports Celsius XXL Sleeping Bag? I know of a friend who is big built and is quite happy with it.

What is your use? Backpacking, pack string or truck? I have a Wiggys Hunter 20 degree rectangular bag that's super comfortable but too heavy for backpack. They have an overbag system if you need more warmth or you can use a canvas bedroll. Wiggys stuff is overbuilt and heavy but very good quality. I have the BA Mystic UL 15 and I'll never use it again for the reason you mention. Didn't realize how cold the bottom would be even with the inflatable pad. Froze every night this year after the tent stove went out.

Sportsman's Guide Canvas Hunter double rated to 0 degrees maybe what you are looking for. It is 50x90" and rated to zero. $119 so not too bad at all. They have others at 39x90 rated to zero or even -30!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.