Sleeping bag for backpack hunts

I've seen dude on the PCT walking in sandals and a jansport backpack. I'm sure it COULD be done.

I however don't often do UL. It's either expensive or super minimalistic. I can afford the expensive part, but I like the durability of the gear I use, even if it weights a few more ounces. I'm not sleeping in an open tarp, too many frogs, snakes, bugs, rodents etc running about. Wind driven rain is a concern too. The whole point is to get good sleep so I can't put in miles the next morning.

That said a tent takes up have the space if a 3600ish size. There's a sacrifice in everything, but you might make it work if you attach the tent to the outside of the pack.

Idk about fitting 5 days of food, some layers, a sleeping bag, sleeping pad etc plus hunting gear though…that sleeping bag needs to roll up pretty tight…
Fair enough. I might keep it pretty minimalist, or I've bought the UL stuff. My tent gets smaller than a Nalgene, and my sleeping bag gets as tall as one and about double wide as one. So that might be where my space comes from. I know that my whole sleep kit is under 5lbs and closer to 4. I can get all my gear in my pack before food and water and be at 20-ish lbs, that includes all of my hunting gear and layers. I think with what you're saying, yeah, it'd be impossible but there are other options out there that people use to hunt with.

I too have spent $1000s on sleeping bags over the years. I camp for work and found Marmot neversummer is a very comfortable bag and affordable. Personally I use a Big Agnes which as described in another post doesn't have insulation on the bottom because your body compresses it anyways. In the last 12 years (the time period I have been in charge if purchasing) I've bought 30+ bags sticking with mountain hardwear in the beginning to now I stick with the marmot and big Agnes brands.

I use an 8 oz bivy bag to hold my down quilt (Enlightened Equipment) on top of my mattress, and keep me out of the dirt. It has mosquito netting if bugs are an issue. For just one night, I'll use a 3/8" blue foam pad and make sure I find pine duff to sleep on. Digging a shallow hip hole makes a big difference. For longer trips I have a Neo-Air mattress on top of the foam pad. I have a 13 oz 3 sided tarp tent. I tie the open end to a tree to prevent wind blown rain. I've weathered some really hard rains in it with no issues. My summer pack weighs 20 oz., but my hunting pack is 3-1/2 pound. Just got back from an aoudad hunt with a kid carrying a 6 or 7 lb. pack. if you bone out the meat, you don't need a frame. You do have to pack carefully to make sure your stove or cup isn't pressing into your back. If you need a huge pack, you're carrying too much. For snow camping, I do need a big pack, just for clothes and my tipi tent with stove. I love my quilt, but when it is below 30° I like a bag better. I've done overnight spike camps where I only have to carry 7 lbs. of extra weight to spend the night. I use a Sawyer filter from Walmart ($22) and Platypus water bags. I roll the foam pad and air mattress together and put it in a stuff sack and tie it to the back of the pack. It is light enough to not pull me backwards. I find that with more than 35 lbs. it isn't fun to hunt and hike. I hunt to the spike camp and then stash my gear. I use an Outdoor Products Ultimate Dry Sack to make sure my bag stays dry. If is isn't too cold, I use an alcohol stove made from a tiny tomato juice can. The whole cooking outfit weighs less than 1/2 a lb. The best way to get ready for a hunt is to walk with a pack. By the time the hunt comes, you won't feel the shoulder straps and your calves won't burn going up hills.

Attachments

• BFBFCCDC-ED81-46EF-A3DE-B1F993BB4748.jpeg
    BFBFCCDC-ED81-46EF-A3DE-B1F993BB4748.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 76
I would agree that a 3600 is very limiting for multi night use.
5000-6000 is usually what I tell guys is best. For 3-5 days.
I live and hunt out west. Also guide in Alaska.
I've spent thousands of dollars on sleeping bags. 300$ to over 1000$ a bag! My bag is the last bastion for me when things get rough,wet and cold. After a long, long and very expensive search I can say that I have found my sleeping bag. The Stone Glacier Chilkoot 0*
Bag is a winner for me. I've used it 3 years now. 100+ days a year in the field. Including winter camping.
It has never failed me yet. It's not cheap but well worth every penny.
A good nights sleep and the peace of mind are paramount when hunting in remote areas.
Just my 2 cents

Edit: I will also add that your sleeping pad is a key part of the sleeping system so don't overlook that. I use the Neoair Xtherm NXT by therm-a-rest in the large size. I'm 6'1" and I like the extra width and length. Worth the extra 4 oz. for the comfort I get.
You about said about all. You need to protect your sleeping bag. So an outside cover for your bag is need. REI should have it all. Tent for cover also, and 4 season too. Better to have it than need it. Your life can be on the line or can be.

Zero experience with overnight backpacking hunts and it's something I'm ready to jump into looking for any info or tips for picking out a bag. Not looking to break the bank on one but definitely do not want to skimp on quality. Any information would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
Stone Glacier

I agree with many on here - buy once, cry once. I do have a couple different bag/pad combinations for the applicable use. Mine typically run by the early/mid/late season flavor and all serve a unique purpose.

Nearly every time I'm checking out new gear I'll go track it down someplace like REI or another big box store and actually pull it down and crawl in the display to make sure that you actually fit! I have big shoulders, and so many of the ultralight mummy bags run way too narrow. This also gives you a chance to review your selected setup before pulling the trigger on it from a your preferred vendor. This goes for both bags and pads. It's nice to actually handle and navigate these items before you're spending that hard earned money on a tool in your backpacking toolbox.

I have spent $$$$ on several sleeping bags from hiking the AP Trail to being on Denali for over a month.
The BEST sleeping bag I have is Jill sleeping with me.
You don't have to pack it to worry about weight plus an extra person to carry stuff.
Get yourself a GOOD wife/husband or spouse and never be cold again!!!!!

My Sleep Kit:

Bag:
NEMO Men's Riff 15 Degree, Medium size

Air pad:
Exped SynMat UL Winter LW,
Inflatable Sleeping Pad, 3.5"
ASTM F3340-18 R5.0 rating

Pillow:
Therm-A-Rest Air Head Down Pillow

Ground sheet:
( 1 or more of the following )

Seek Outside Fearlessly Floorless Ground Sheet, or Matty McMat Face.
Or Gossamer Gear large Polycryo.

Sitka base layers if needed
Puffy jacket if needed,
on me or under me.

Good Night 😴

I bought the same thing we use in the Army. It's a three piece system that if you know what the weather will be like, you can only take what you need. Compacts into a small ball, has its own carrier as well. Many other uses for it as well.
I switched from the army sleep system to a down quilt + high R value sleeping pad. Have the same temp rating and dropped 8 POUNDS from my pack weight!
The army sleep system is fit for car camping but not backpacking.
* Exception for the gore-tex bivy sack. It's heavy for what it is but it's nearly bombproof and very effective. It's the only part of my army sleep system that I ever use backpacking these days.