Sleeping bag advice for spike camping

You might look into a quilt instead. I wont go back to a sleeping bag. Try enlightened equipment. Tim is awesome to deal with.

Okay Thomas, convince me into a quilt. Give me your pros and cons. I've been following a "quilt" thread over on rokslide and some guys like them and some don't.
I also went to Tim's site and liked what I saw but I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm kinda thinking that I would like one being my bag is open most of the time.

Thanks man!

Randy

I have a Western Mountaineering Goretex -40 overstuffed XL that I have used at -30 below high in the Mtns in Montana years ago at remote spike camps, It is the finest bag in the world. If its 10 above I have to open it up and just lay it over me. I'll be using it next weekend, taking Boy Scouts up On Lookout Pass, snowshoeing in 3-4 miles and digging snow caves and spending the night, cooking on a campfire and breakfast in the pit where the fire goes down to the ground. Cook on the coals in the deep hole. Most years its about 15 feet some years as much as 21. That bag from WM goes with every year, never got cold, never got wet, I can lay it right on the snow and sleep and have done it a few times to test it out. Good gear is worth its weight in gold when you really need it. Its not cheap, but the good gear will get you thru when other gear wont.

I have a Western Mountaineering Goretex -40 overstuffed XL that I have used at -30 below high in the Mtns in Montana years ago at remote spike camps, It is the finest bag in the world. If its 10 above I have to open it up and just lay it over me. I'll be using it next weekend, taking Boy Scouts up On Lookout Pass, snowshoeing in 3-4 miles and digging snow caves and spending the night, cooking on a campfire and breakfast in the pit where the fire goes down to the ground. Cook on the coals in the deep hole. Most years its about 15 feet some years as much as 21. That bag from WM goes with every year, never got cold, never got wet, I can lay it right on the snow and sleep and have done it a few times to test it out. Good gear is worth its weight in gold when you really need it. Its not cheap, but the good gear will get you thru when other gear wont.

Man, that sounds like a hoot.

Randy

Last edited:
Okay Thomas, convince me into a quilt. Give me your pros and cons. I've been following a "quilt" thread over on rokslide and some guys like them and some don't.
I also went to Tim's site and liked what I saw but I'd love to hear your opinion. I'm kinda thinking that I would like one being my bag is open most of the time.

Thanks man!

Randy

Im a side sleeper so sleeping like a "mummy" doesnt work. The quilt is open on the underside and u sleep more similar to how u do in bed at home. I got a 6' wide 10 deg revolution and its awesome. 23 oz and rated to ten degrees is awesome. I might be able to send u mine to check out. I could probably send it to you in april if you cover the shipping. I took the plung and wont go back.

We teach boys how to handle themselves in the worst conditions the MTns and Mtn Rivers and canyons in the Northern Rockies. It makes them appreciate "Being Prepared". WE make sure they all have the right gear and are rigged up right to pull their sleds with gear in. Gear checks, sled checks, Snowshoe checks, food checks and we also bring a few extra things just in case. we've had -20, Rain, 3 feet of new snow overnight, and every thing in between. This is the favorite trip for most boys that go. It makes prepared young men, teaching them this stuff, and its a lot of fun and rewarding to see them do it. We team older boys with younger ones on digging caves to teach them well their first time out. Most of our boys are hunters also, so this is invaluable training for a night out with out a tent in deep snow.

And -- They all have GOOD sleeping bags, use tarps under them in the caves, use vapor barrier socks, extra clothes to change into after digging a cave, and plenty of snacks for all that hard work. Most snow caves actually stay pretty warm with a couple of live bodies warming it up inside.

Andy

Im a side sleeper so sleeping like a "mummy" doesnt work. The quilt is open on the underside and u sleep more similar to how u do in bed at home. I got a 6' wide 10 deg revolution and its awesome. 23 oz and rated to ten degrees is awesome. I might be able to send u mine to check out. I could probably send it to you in april if you cover the shipping. I took the plung and wont go back.

That was the same one that I was looking at and the mummy design does not work for me either. How does that quilt work for the foot area??

Randy

We teach boys how to handle themselves in the worst conditions the MTns and Mtn Rivers and canyons in the Northern Rockies. It makes them appreciate "Being Prepared". WE make sure they all have the right gear and are rigged up right to pull their sleds with gear in. Gear checks, sled checks, Snowshoe checks, food checks and we also bring a few extra things just in case. we've had -20, Rain, 3 feet of new snow overnight, and every thing in between. This is the favorite trip for most boys that go. It makes prepared young men, teaching them this stuff, and its a lot of fun and rewarding to see them do it. We team older boys with younger ones on digging caves to teach them well their first time out. Most of our boys are hunters also, so this is invaluable training for a night out with out a tent in deep snow.

And -- They all have GOOD sleeping bags, use tarps under them in the caves, use vapor barrier socks, extra clothes to change into after digging a cave, and plenty of snacks for all that hard work. Most snow caves actually stay pretty warm with a couple of live bodies warming it up inside.

Andy

Andy, good for you----I am sure that those are the kinds of trips they will never forget. Beats the heck out of playing video games............

Randy

That was the same one that I was looking at and the mummy design does not work for me either. How does that quilt work for the foot area??

Randy
Very comfy and good space. You can also unzip the 20" zipper or just open it like a blanket if its warm. Or open the drawcord on the bottom as much as needed to let applicable airflow in the quilt. Also i have the 10d wr on the outside which is wind and water resistant and tims regular 10d on the inside which feels as soft as silk (no BS). Like i said u can check mine out if u want.

I'm a side sleeper to.If its cold and i'm "mummyed up "than I just roll onto my side and the bag goes with me.If it"s to warm to have the bag all zipped up than I roll around however I want and the bag stays put.
If a quilt works for you thats great,but other than saving carrying the weight of the zipper I can't see an advantage.
I would never buy another bag without a full length zipper again either
Tim

Marmot or kelty I have both.They pack small and are rated for -20 both have a full length zipper, either one is a good choice. I have used both in Alaska during the winter mountain hardwear makes a good bag too. I would rather spend more money knowing I got a good one then skimp out and be miserable and cold.. I hope this helps you out good luck

A Fishing tackle Company in the UK Called JRC use to sell a sleeping Bag called a Super Coocoon 5 Season and it has a Beefed up foot area and full length Zipper's ( one Each side, It is soley designed for sleeping out side when your ,fishing by the Rivers and Ponds etc now It was also made by the company called SnugPak here in the UK, I spoke to the Designer at SnugPak and he said it was tested down to -50c but they have Rated it at -20c because people do stupid things like sleeping in their underware trying to be macho and then claim they were frozen/Die, So to avoid any issues the held back on their Ratings,

Having tested the 5 Season out i found out that If It warms up it seems to adjust the heat so you dont end up sweating, all the openings are Baffled and there is a very thick canvas webbing behind both Zippers so the linning does not get Jammed in the Zippers, Its wide at the bottom not like a Mummy type and if you look up SnugPak Antartica RE the specs are the same but the RE is a Mummy type Bag and It is Rated down to -50c and the RE was Known as the Antartica 2c ,

The 5 season is a great Bag for those who like the extra foot space and the side Zippers are great, But the 2c/RE is the last word really and I would pitch it against any of the massive Down sleeping bags costing over $1000,

I have got cotton and Fleece Liners for both but I have only ever used the cotton Liners because you just dont need the Fleece liner, and I do suffer from circulation issue's,

Hope this helps

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.