skin a squirrel

I would love to see a video of this. I can't figure it out from reading.
He came over 2 weeks ago and we went hunting 8 or 10 weeks before that he had reconstructive surgery on his left shoulder because he fell and tore all the ligaments from the bone and rotator cuff and he still kicked my butt getting his squirrels cleaned before me once you try it you won't do it any other way. David

take sharp pocket knife and scrape hair off bottom of tail joint where it meets the butt.

Make a cut thru tail bone but not cutting top of tail hide.

small incision cut from tail bone down each back leg to ankles. (Do squirrels have ankles?) /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Stand on squirrel tail and pull upwards. front half of hide pulls all the way down to head and feet.

Either skin head or cut off and cut off front feet.

Squirrel will have "V" shaped belly flap remaining. Grasp and pull back to back feet. Cut back feet off.

No hair no fuss.

BH
This is the best method by far, I was taught this method at age 16 in East Lynn West Virginia, when perfected it can be done in a minute and a half with not one hair on the skinned squirrel. Use a pliers to grab hold of the V shaped belly flap. Invest in a squirrel skinning gambrel this will really help, attach to tree secure squirrel by back feet and just do it.

I had a skinning gambrel made for squirrels. I hang it from a tree limb with a rope. A place to hang them by the squirrel's head or feet. Made out of 1/2 flat metal. Fixing to make another one just like one is made for skinning furbear animals. Small compact to use in the woods.

I shot my first squirrel when I was 12.Brought it home and ask dad how to skin it . He said you shot it you clean it I grabbed my knife and went up back After 45 minutes it was skinned Not pretty but it was done Mom fried it up with gravy and homemade biscuits Nothing better

1. Cut a small notch in the skin on the squirrels back
2. Insert your thumbs or pointer fingers from each hand into the notch
3. Pull your hands in opposite directions.

Make sure that now that you skinned your squirrel you gut it before cooking

Joel

this is rather simple.
lay squirrle on its back.
cut in middle of belly all the way around back and back to belly.like a belt cut.
grab skin in left hand
grab the other(right) side in right hand.
Pull like the hulk ripping off his shirt.
the skin will wrap around the head and feet just snip them off(head ,feet) and the inards should come out nice and easly now.

batter up fry and injoy.
Pm me if this didn't make since to you.
I know, another resurrected one. But most tasty morcel is the head!

I guess that was the Georgia method. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

As a boy in Alabama, I was taught to just make a one inch cut on the back and slip one finger from each hand under the different sides of the skin and pull in opposite directions. Pull till the skin starts over the front and rear legs. Using a finger, separate the skin from the front of the front legs and the rear of the rear leg. Pull the skin down the legs until you reach the last joint and then whack the feet off. If you are going to eat the head and brains, pull the skin on over the head. If not, then pull the skin until the neck is exposed and cut the head off. Before frying the head, cut the whiskers off and gouge out the eyeballs.

When skinning a young of the year squirrel be careful not to pull the squirrel apart at the rib cage. Things get very messy then. Same thing if you should shot a squirrel in the backbone, it may pull apart.

I always skinned squirrels using a wooden surface of some kind so you could use a heavy knife to chop off the neck, feet and tail.
That's the way I was taught. Works fast

Here is what I do with the skins once in a while. 924F4006-F6E4-4481-98C0-6A2BAD1A25A2.jpeg
924F4006-F6E4-4481-98C0-6A2BAD1A25A2.jpeg

Here is what I do with the skins once in a while.View attachment 386758View attachment 386758
Some day I will redo this video better. Normally when I aint trying to make a crappy video I can clean a squirrel in under a minute using this method.

I was going to film my friend this September and post the video of him skinning squirrels so you all could see how slick he did it but sorry to say he was murdered in his back yard 2 months ago while putting his fishing poles in the garage so I didn't get to show you this simple way. David