Skim bedding

aramarine6

So I found a few youtube videos of guys doing skim bedding to B&C stocks. First of all it looks like a giant pain in the butt. Have any of you done this? Is it as tedius and messy as it looks? Also how much would a gunsmith charge to do a service like this? LAst but not least, once the action is bedded into the compound can the stock be removed and put back on without messing anything up? I ask these question because I've never bedded any of my B&C stocks. I've just bolted the barreled action into them and gone shooting. I'm happy with my accuracy but anything to tighten groups is always beneficial.

I don't bed the actual action on any aluminum bedded stocks, I do however bed the recoil lug. It's messy but really strait forward and simple.

And no the bedding job will not the action to it as long as you use large amounts of release agent. After the epoxy sets removing the barreled action will not alter anything

Because the point of the aluminum bedding is to fit the contour of the action perfectly. Almost no torque is put on the action as long as the stock maker didn't botch the alum bedding instalation

I bedded the action in mine. i didn't shoot groups before hand because I was still waiting on a barrel so i don't know if it helped at all. here is the video that convinced me to give it a go.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1Wbrj9yJpA]Road to Precision Part XIII - YouTube[/ame]

Just got done bedding my hs precision stock this weekend. My action looked like the one in the video. It had rub marks on certain spots so I could tell the action was only touching a little bit and not on the whole action. It is on a savage 12LRP. It went pretty good just need to take your time and have everything ready to go. It was the first one I have done. I think I about got an ulcer over the 24hr wait till i broke it loose.:D I think that it turned out good weather is crappy out so haven't shot yet. I am not expecting alot in results because it was already on a good stock but at least now i know that the action and stock are solid. Pretty soon i will have it all narrowed down to the jerk behind the trigger :D I spent more time reading and watching videos than it took to do it. That is a good thing though. Unlike the video I cleaned up the bedding material before it dried. I liked that better. I will say that this stock was a good one to start on. I did not bed the tang area I let that float.

Excellent video. Best one I've seen yet. However I might still be willing to pay a pro to do it for me lol

What's the fun in paying someone else to play with your toys ? I'm getting close to a dozen rifles bedded now and I can knock it out in under two hours. About an hour and a half to prep the stock and rifle and a half hour to clean it up later and reassemble the rifle. I bed it in the evening and let it cure over night and clean it up in the morning.

Because it will cost me 3-4 times what it would if I just had a gunsmith do it. I have zero tools or equipment to something like this. So I'd either have to buy dremels, grinders, and all that good stuff or attempt to borrow.

Not much needed. @ $10 set of chisels at low/depot , $20 marinetex grey , $2 kiwi neutral shoe polish , $5 modeling clay , $3 cheap medium to fine file. About $40 will do two or three rifles. After that it's another $25 every two to three rifles If you save the clay. I didn't watch the video so I don't know what he used but what I listed is all I use.

And another thing , I do not recommend using ANY power tools unless you are really good with them. I might have ruined one ...or three stocks with a dremel tool. Since I switched to hand chisels I have had smooth sailing.

And I forgot the roll of blue masking tape @ $2

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.