skim bedding an accumark

pole-spear2

Same Accumark I referenced in an earlier post on a trigger job, 30-378 wby. I plan on skim bedding this rifle, as it has a fair amount of play between the action and the aluminum inserted stock. With the screws out there is at least 1/4 inch of side to side play (slop) when the action is setin the stock. This appears to be a rediculious poor fit. When I tighten up the barrel lug screw, one can see the barrel pulling left until it touches the side of the forened. If i'm not mistaken, this should be floated from the factory.

I guess I have two options, one is to cut out the left side of the stock to make it free floating before skim bedding. The second is to wrap some tape around the barrel in a couple of places to keet the barrel uniform inside of the stock and bed the rifle, using the tape as a sort of stand off and allow the bedding to buildup around the recoil lug and set the rifle true.

What is the best approach?

thanks
Ben

My 30-378 accumark was moving in the stock too. I bedded the front lug and about 2" of the barrel and then also bedded the rear tang area. I always use 1 1/2" masking tape and apply 3 layers to the bottom of the barrel before bedding. Then after it is dry I remove the tape and relieve the barrel channel till the entire barrel is floated back to the bedding. I am no pro and this may not be the best way but it helped make my accumark a real shooter.

Jeff

Same Accumark I referenced in an earlier post on a trigger job, 30-378 wby. I plan on skim bedding this rifle, as it has a fair amount of play between the action and the aluminum inserted stock. With the screws out there is at least 1/4 inch of side to side play (slop) when the action is setin the stock. This appears to be a rediculious poor fit. When I tighten up the barrel lug screw, one can see the barrel pulling left until it touches the side of the forened. If i'm not mistaken, this should be floated from the factory.

I guess I have two options, one is to cut out the left side of the stock to make it free floating before skim bedding. The second is to wrap some tape around the barrel in a couple of places to keet the barrel uniform inside of the stock and bed the rifle, using the tape as a sort of stand off and allow the bedding to buildup around the recoil lug and set the rifle true.

What is the best approach?

thanks
Ben

Option #2 is the way I bed any rifle.

After bedding you can open the barrel channel up some more if needed.

Also bed about 1" in front of the receiver.

J E CUSTOM

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.