Sizing lube

I've tried 3 different lubes,all in paste or thick liquid(Lee,RCBS N°2,Hornady one shot wax)I put it by rolling the case between my fingers,a bit gooie but efficient if you pay special care to avoid the shoulder,and the best results so far are with RCBS n°2,I also use it for neck turning,works nice.Hornady wax is good too,but not as good.I even tried Johnson furniture beeswax,OK with me.In any event,don't put too much and stay away from the shoulder.Just my 2 cents.

So I made my own batch of sizing lube out of 99% alcohol and liquid lanolin 1/10 ratio in a spray bottle and it is legit. Spray let sit for about 5 mins and roll and it is effortless sizing. Ultimate reloader as well as 6.5 guys have recipe in videos. Thought I would share!

I used to use the alcohol/Lanolin mix years ago. Worked pretty good but, was hard to keep off the shoulder area. About 30 years ago I switched to using straight 100% pure Lanolin, applied by rolling on a VERY LITE COAT, with my fingers & thumb. It is much easier to control where it goes, and by now, we should all know to keep it away from the shoulder area. About 30 years ago I bought two 8 oz. tubs of DAX 100% pure Lanolin Hair Moisturizer for less than $5.00 each. I've sized tens-of-thousands of cartridge cases using it and still have a tub and a half left. I've never had a case stuck in a die since I switched to using the 100% pure Lanolin all those years ago.

I've used the alcohol and lanolin for years and have never had a problem with it. But as OhYtD said, keep clear of the shoulder area to avoid hydraulic dimpling.
I just bought a small plastic tub and I put cleaned brass in it and do about three sprays then mix around and do about three more. And then wait that 5 minutes or so to let all that alcohol evaporate off so all that is left is basically the lanolin. I have not see a dented case yet. How do u apply yours?

i use a 1:4 alcohol to liquid lanolin. i stupidly bought a case of each, and have a whole case minus one bottle left over, for the past 5 years. the mix made a 20oz bottle and i use it generously. ....it works very well though!

I used to use the alcohol/Lanolin mix years ago. Worked pretty good but, was hard to keep off the shoulder area. About 30 years ago I switched to using straight 100% pure Lanolin, applied by rolling on a VERY LITE COAT, with my fingers & thumb. It is much easier to control where it goes, and by now, we should all know to keep it away from the shoulder area. About 30 years ago I bought two 8 oz. tubs of DAX 100% pure Lanolin Hair Moisturizer for less than $5.00 each. I've sized tens-of-thousands of cartridge cases using it and still have a tub and a half left. I've never had a case stuck in a die since I switched to using the 100% pure Lanolin all those years ago.
I use the same technique after sticking a case that was still wet from spraying.

I'll admit, however, that I wasn't smart enough to go with straight lanolin but instead got the same stuff as a name brand case lube and spent about twice as much. Still, the stuff has worked for more than 10 years and my original tin is more than half full.

I use Mobil 1 30 wt on an RCBS pad and then wash the brass in a jar of brake parts cleaner (comes in five gallon cans at AutoZone for about $50). To resize 300 RUM to 338 or 416 I coat the inside of the neck with bacon grease and wash afterward.

I use Mobil 1 30 wt on an RCBS pad and then wash the brass in a jar of brake parts cleaner (comes in five gallon cans at AutoZone for about $50). To resize 300 RUM to 338 or 416 I coat the inside of the neck with bacon grease and wash afterward.

when you shoot does it smell as good as i assume it would?

I'm at 10:1 IPA(99%) to lanolin and am thinking of going to 12:1. Got all of the bits off amazon. I've only used it so far on .30-30 and .224 Valkyrie cases, but I'm liking how well it works.

My procedure, as suggested by a friend who does it with Dillon's lube, is a cookie sheet (he uses a cardboard box for the taller sides) with a paper towel on it that the cases are laying on their sides on. I use a pump spray/mister bottle set on mist. Gently but thoroughly mist the sides of all cases, then gently shake the cookie sheet to roll the cases around. Give the IPA a couple mins to leave the scene and then start sizing.

Even though I am getting it on the necks I am NOT seeing any dimpling. I suspect this is due to the puny case sizes, but I dunno.

Years ago in my Industrial Tech capstone class we had to do a presentation on a manufacturing method, and then demonstrate it. I'd had a fascination with metal spinning, so I chose that. Done the old school way it needs a lube with high pressure characteristics (sound familiar?). A text on the method that I found in the school's library printed in 1943 suggested a 50/50 blend of mutton tallow and 30 wt engine oil. I couldn't get an mutton tallow (local rendering place had *just* shipped out their annual accumulation) so I had to research why that suggestion. Turns out that mutton tallow and lanolin both have proteins in them that REALLY like metals. REALLY bond to them and hang on. The other end of the protein bonds well with various greases making for a high pressure lube. I used an EP grease for the project, but that research has stuck with me for decades.

My shooting mentor turned me onto S T O S, stands for Slicker than Owl S_H_$_T!
Its made by Ponsness Warren, easy to use, wipes off with a rag. Leaves enough behind for chamber lube.

Regarding neck turning, I have used allot of different methods, I always end up back to a 50/50 mix of STP and Automatic Trans Fluid. Builds less head than using other lubes.

JMHO

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts