Sizing help needed

Dykem tells the story.

Attachments

• 15807804418917967351654833650803.jpg
    15807804418917967351654833650803.jpg
    703.8 KB · Views: 89
Gents, I mentioned it earlier. with this die combo you need to apply generous force to the die. Simply touching off shell holder to die is not enough because the process is "springy". You gotta set the press up for max force and send it Home smartly.
This was the solution...apparently I was running my ram like a little girl and you gotta manhandle this thing to push back the shoulder.
I use my hornady comparator set to measure shoulder bump, it's not the exact datum so who knows what headspace is, but all I'm doing is comparing before and after, so it works fine...was finally able to achieve .002 bump as meaures this way when I put some oomph behind it.

Before you give up try turning the die more to bump the shoulder more. Do you have a comparator to know how much the shoulder is being bumped back?
The way I see it, the distance from the shoulder inside the die to the shell holder will be the same whether the die is screwed in 1/4 turn or 7 turns once the shell holder makes contact with the bottom of the die. That distance is fixed, so the only way to increase that distance or decrease is by using shell holders with different depths relative to the surface that meets the die. This is accomplished with the competition shell holders to lengthen headspace or a shim between the case head and shell holder to decrease headspace (i.e. bump the shoulder back)

New chamber/gun, buy new brass. My type S die in 243 works great. Brass life , 22 loadings so far. 1 cracked neck.
New brass is probably the right way to go with a new chamber...but that doesnt help me to understand why this problem were happening. What if this were new brass that wouldnt fit into the chamber without sizing first? Would I just go buy new brass? It's important for a group of highly experienced folks to educate each other to solve problems, not just throw it away and buy a new one...I think there is just too much of that going on in the world today. People dont know how to troubleshoot because we are so blessed to be able to afford to just trash it and buy a new one.

New brass is probably the right way to go with a new chamber...but that doesnt help me to understand why this problem were happening. What if this were new brass that wouldnt fit into the chamber without sizing first? Would I just go buy new brass? It's important for a group of highly experienced folks to educate each other to solve problems, not just throw it away and buy a new one...I think there is just too much of that going on in the world today. People dont know how to troubleshoot because we are so blessed to be able to afford to just trash it and buy a new one.
First, the brass came from a longer chamber than yours is, that is simple. If new brass would not fit, most likely your chamber would be out of spec, again that is simple. There should never be a reason to FL size new brass, other things can be done to necks and such.
I have a Whidden 6.5 creed bushing die here I can mail you to try, need a quick turn around on it though.
Realize that presses do flex, so turning the die in can help.

First, the brass came from a longer chamber than yours is, that is simple. If new brass would not fit, most likely your chamber would be out of spec, again that is simple. There should never be a reason to FL size new brass, other things can be done to necks and such.
I have a Whidden 6.5 creed bushing die here I can mail you to try, need a quick turn around on it though.
Realize that presses do flex, so turning the die in can help.
I appreciate that offer, but I think I got it licked. I sat there checking the brass in my chamber after sizing with a heavy stroke and it all worked, got through about half of them so far.

I'm trying to size some hornady 6.5cm brass that was fired in a different gun.
This area is not going to get sized back to factory, SAAMI specifications. If expanded from repeated reloading, This is why some brass fired in an old guns chamber will not fit into a new guns chamber using the old brass.

The fl die does not size this area.
20200204_084847.jpg

Looks like the OP has solved the sizing problem.
Press cam over or the extra 1/4 turn down of the fl die, will remove slop from the press linkage & any spring in the press.

At the top of the stroke, make sure the shell holder is in full contact with the bottom of the fl die.

Last edited:
I appreciate that offer, but I think I got it licked. I sat there checking the brass in my chamber after sizing with a heavy stroke and it all worked, got through about half of them so far.

Glad you got this sorted out. Lots of experience on this board, and something to learn from everybody.

Hmm was having issues with 7mag. Turned out that the die worked down and was touching shell holder, was over bumping shoulder, backed off 3/4turn no problem

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.