Sizing die problem

Are you chamfering the outside of your necks?
I wouldnt run any brass that wasnt chamfered & debured through my dies, especially if you have just trimmed them as well.

I'd guess your hitting the deprimer pin rod lenght adjuster.

Wind it up futher the rod & try that, even if you need to remove the depriming pin & pin tensioner if need be.

In saying that its weird how its just on one side.

I presume you have taken the die apart & cleaned it, looking for any inpefections around the neck forming/sizing area??

Last edited:
First thing to check is the diameter of the expander.
Have seen a 7 mag die with a 30 cal expander in it from a well known brand...stuff gets messed up occasionally.
The other issue I have seen was a die marked 270 Win but had a 262" neck in it. Go figure.

Cheers.

I never even considered that.

Have you checked for excess or caked case lube? Have you tried running a few without the expander? Might also let you look down inside the die and see what's going on.
I have checked for excess lube But the problem was there before I even used lube on the Neck sizer.

Chamfer the necks and run the expander ball way down away from the neck of the die and all should be well
i'm not sure I can get the expandable to come down any lower but I can try. At this point it is so low into the die that I can feel the tension in the very beginning of the stroke then nothing for most of the rest of the strokeBefore the last little bit when the brass actually goes the hallway into the die same way on the way back out

I wouldnt run any brass that wasnt chamfered & debured through my dies, especially if you have just trimmed them as well.

I'd guess your hitting the deprimer pin rod lenght adjuster.

Wind it up futher the rod & try that, even if you need to remove the depriming pin & pin tensioner if need be.

In saying that its weird how its just on one side.

I presume you have taken the die apart & cleaned it, looking for any inpefections around the neck forming/sizing area??
It was brand new brasS and the main reason I was even running it into the size or was that some of the Necks got dinged in shipping But I have never made it a point to chamfer before sizing This thread is honestly the first I have ever heard of it being done in that order. I'm also new to this style of die I use all lee dies normally And to be honest I didn't realize that the Die had a rod Lanks adjustment. I thought that was just there to take the D capping pin out and replace it. I have it screwed tight

Last edited:
I was taught to chamfer the inside and out side of the necks first to get rid of any burrs on them before sizing them . I had a new die once that had an expander ball that wasn't smooth and had a lip on it that would catch on the lip of the neck .

spend the money get Redding Deluxe die set. Comes with a carbide sizing button and micrometer seater.
Cheap just gets you problems

Next get you a Redding Big Boss II or Forester Co-Ax press, GTG !!

The cheapist way to fix your problem and get little to no runout is with a Lee Neck sizing Collet die.For full length resizing I then use a Redding Body die in conjunction with the Lee die.

I'd suspect the expander ball was too high and crushed the mouth, if the whole mouth was crushed. If you're looking for neck sizing solutions just grab a lee collet neck size, they even make "custom" mandrels to adjust neck tension.

Not before sizing. I've always done that step right before powder and bullet.

I'm honestly thinking about just getting a whole different die set. When I started having trouble with the neck sizer die I switched to FL and it requires an extreme amount of lube inside the case neck Or my 200 pound plus reloading bench comes half an inch off the ground while I'm trying to pull the brass back out of the die. I really wish Lee made a call at next size or diI really wish Lee made a collet ns die for 338. So I could just use the combination of lee cns with redding body die like i do for everything else. I guess they kind of do but it is a custom order and is larger than a normal day I said so I would also need a whole new press so just the ability to use that one die would cost close to $300 between the cost of the press and the custom die
If you're having that much trouble pulling the decapping/sizer out, the decapping rod may be bent. I had a similar problem pulling mine out and when I pulled the decapping assembly out, the rod was bent

If you want to get the best dies that there are, get Exact dies. Link here http://www.exactshooting.com/order.html
I upgraded all my Redding dies (except .458 Lott) to these dies and will never use anything else. Worth the price and the wait.
Look at Whidden dies. Great dies and great people. Worth the price.

There are many problems I have seen with dies I have personally owned and owned by clients in my shop. the first is yes, the decapping stem is bent. second was the decapping stem was loose and wiggled all over the place and cases that folded over mouth. third was the cap that holds the decapping pin, sizing ball, and stem together had a small flat face on it and the thing needed to be finished and polished, the last thing was an unfinished sizing ball like those on RCBS.
my vote here is the cap on the decapping stem is the culprit.

The cheapist way to fix your problem and get little to no runout is with a Lee Neck sizing Collet die.For full length resizing I then use a Redding Body die in conjunction with the Lee die.
Considering that is what I do for everything else that I reload that was my first choice here before realizing Lee only makes that collet neck sizer in their large series dies which means i would need to order a bigger press to use it. So I am torn between doing exactly that or just buying a different type of guy that I can use in my normal press

On my next day off I will rip this lyman Die apart again and see what i can figure out. I may look into presses while im at it

I am trying to neck size some new GWT 338lm brass Because shipping them to the case mouths But when the brass is 1/3 of the way into the die it catches on something and Dents the mouth worse. When the brass goes through the die and comes back out the mouth is fixed and I can't feel a change with my thumb nail but the color change in the brass makes it obvious. I have tried setting this diet multiple times to get this to stop but I'm starting to wonder if I just have a bum die. It is the neck die from Lyman and deluxe rifle three die said item number 7680250

Any idea whats going on?

View attachment 202816
What do the cases look like right out of the bag/box ? Gotta' picture of those before being run through the die ?

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.