Size of target at 800 yards? And how close to center?

I agree that doing the math is better. I'm just saying that is possible to fairly accurately set a cant. By the time you get done torquing down all the screws, you're lucky to be within a half degree of what you want anyway. 1 degree of cant is not going to amount to a lot of POI shift down range and that amount will also depend on how far down range you zero. The closer you zero to the target down range, the less the cant will affect the POI.

So my question with this, then minimal poi change with 1 degree canted scope..mine is canted what I would say is minimal (hitting 5 inches left at 780yds) Why not for now just adjust my zero to be on att 500 yards for left and right that way I'm couple inches right at 100 couple inches left at 900?? My max target range

So my question with this, then minimal poi change with 1 degree canted scope..mine is canted what I would say is minimal (hitting 5 inches left at 780yds) Why not for now just adjust my zero to be on att 500 yards for left and right that way I'm couple inches right at 100 couple inches left at 900?? My max target range

Couple of things.... first without reading back through, you aren't correcting for spin drift which means your cant is actually causing about 10" or so of POI shift @ 800 yds. Next, it's easy to align your scope and level properly. I would say just do it. And only use 1 level.

Yeah, you could just adjust your zero to shift back 5" @ 800, but in my view, that's a convoluted way of doing it. Maybe I'm just too anal. :)

I'd like to see the laser bore sight that can be used on a rifle that would reach 1000yds ... .:)
I guess I should have emphasized IMAGINE a little more :D

The formula for exact scope cant error is a little complex but you can get a good approximation by multiplying your bullet drop in inches (assuming zero at 100) by the tangent of your cant angle. Example for 240 inches of drop, 5° cant angle:

240*tan(5°)=21" cant error.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.