Size Of Elk For Ranging Estimates

Roadrunner

Was talking to some fellow longrangehunting members at the ITRC last month when the size of elk for ranging estimates was discussed. I believe if I remember correctly (sorry XTP if I forgot the numbers) that they were saying that a cow elk from the top of her back to the bottom of her chest was 24 inches. For a bull elk they said that the size varied from 28 inches to 32 inches depending upon the size of the bull.

What does everybody else think of these numbers for ranging elk. I've been trying to get the weight down on my pack for this coming season, and I sure would like to leave the six pounds of Russian behind.

The ones in Wyoming run between 32 and 36 inches for the bulls. The big mulies are 20 inches.

Hey Jim-- is that u?-- sure was good to meet u there @ ITRC-- this is Steve Hugel-- one of the pistol guys. If u ever get down Pueblo, CO way be sure and look me up. Be nice to get some more of your experience on this LR stuff.

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">quote:</font><HR> <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

For mature Colorado cow elk, I have been using a "top to bottom" measurement of 24 inches for quite a few years. Results in the field seem to indicate that this is a good figure.

Lee

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.