Sitting in cold temps in a tree saddle

FlGunner

I'm used to Hunting in cold weather when I travel out of state and always dress to be warm depending on how mobile I am. If sitting, I've always dressed very light and wore a heater body suit in conjunction with a lock on stand. Now I have a tree saddle I'm gonna use and what to know what y'all wear to stay warm for long all day sits in a tree saddle. The heater body suit is not an option given how it zips up. I'm talking mid west temps like early November for Ohio, Indiana, and Illinois.

Wish I could help but I only have tree stand experience. I would expect similar conditions though, being up high in the wind it is much colder than the ground or being in a blind so I'd bundle up.

You want to be careful I no a man who sit in his all day ended up in hospital with blood clots in his legs. David
I'll definitely keep that in mind and try and stay aware. I figure I'm gonna go with a good merino wool base layer and my usual Sent Lok Savanas pants and jacket and cover over with Artic shield classic elite bibs and parka. Thanks for the feedback guys.

I don't know what a Tree Saddle is, but if it is really cold out, I would find a way to adapt the Heater Body suit or a good sleeping bag. Nothin is going to be warmer than that. For years I used a set of one piece insulated coveralls for sitting, even ice fishing at -45. They are the next best thing to the heater body suit with a ton better mobility. You can peel them off to walk in, I rolled mine up into the attached hood and tied it shut with the draw string. Made then real easy to carry. Even dressed fairly light, once you have the coveralls on you are good to be outside all day, even in real cold weather.

Are you talking a tree saddle like used for tree work? Where you are suspended from a rope? If that is the case speaking from 20 + years of tree climbing experiance and living in Wisconsin. I don't think you would be able to stay warm regardless of what you wear. From my experience if you are not constantly moving around the saddle pinches and cuts off blood flow. You would probably end up like the guy David mentioned

I use a Cruzr XC saddle now (way more comfortable and adjustable) but used a kestrel in the past. Never had an issue of cutting off circulation. If you're cutting off circulation I think you have to realize you're pinching yourself and either re-adjust or just stand up for a few and get the blood flowing again. But I think the plan of dressing I mentioned above will keep me warm. Haven't hunted Wisconsin but I've seen some cold weather in Ohio, Illinois that would probably be similar.

Sounds like your saddle is way more comfortable than anything I have used in the past 20 years "which I doubt" if it truly is then you should be fine.
If you are able to stand up and move around then why not a regular stand ? Everyone has a different tolerance to the cold and only you can say what yours is. All I know is that it gets cold in Wi during hunting season and there is no I way I could sit in my saddle for any long period of time without moving around a lot.

Sounds like your saddle is way more comfortable than anything I have used in the past 20 years "which I doubt" if it truly is then you should be fine.
If you are able to stand up and move around then why not a regular stand ? Everyone has a different tolerance to the cold and only you can say what yours is. All I know is that it gets cold in Wi during hunting season and there is no I way I could sit in my saddle for any long period of time without moving around a lot.
The reason for not using a regular stand is the weight. The farms we hunt in Ohio are fairly big and long walks to get to the area we hunt. We ain't allowed to use atvs and a lot of times the grounds to soft to drive closer. Not gonna complain about that being we get to hunt for free. Not doubting your strands comfort either, just saying they're very adjustable and I've never lost circulation. I hunt from lock ons as well but when I find a buck that's not hanging around a pre hung set the saddle makes it easier to just go in. So do you use a heater body suit or something similar or what's your go to to stay warm.

I like lots of layers . One layer that blocks wind, one that breaths. And one that insulates. With layers in-between those. I think the biggest heat loss is my neck area so I wear a neck gator type thing that can be pulled up to cover my ears and chin . Also a homemade fanny pack for lack of a better terms to hold a couple hand warmers on my lower back does wonders to keep me warm and is way cheaper than fancy "hunting gear"

Layers my friend. A next to skin layer (like merino wool) that has natural insulating properties and wicks moisture, followed by a wind stopper type material, followed by another insulating layer.

Layers my friend. A next to skin layer (like merino wool) that has natural insulating properties and wicks moisture, followed by a wind stopper type material, followed by another insulating layer.

This may not matter where it only gets middling cold but for -25 and colder my suggestion, try putting the wind stopper layer on the outside. You will find you stay far warmer because the wind chill factor isn't removing the heat trapped in the last insulating layer. If it is -30, steel won't get colder than that no matter how hard the wind is blowing, but hot steel will cool off to -30 a whole bunch faster in a 30 mph wind than when it is calm.

This may not matter where it only gets middling cold but for -25 and colder my suggestion, try putting the wind stopper layer on the outside. You will find you stay far warmer because the wind chill factor isn't removing the heat trapped in the last insulating layer. If it is -30, steel won't get colder than that no matter how hard the wind is blowing, but hot steel will cool off to -30 a whole bunch faster in a 30 mph wind than when it is calm.
Great point!!

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts