Sitka or Kuiu

Ethan2000

For the past 5 or so years I have been using Sitka 90% jacket & pants, but for the past year I have lost some weight so it's time for new. Looking at my options I seem to have quite a few now days. In the area I hunt it is pretty nasty so therefore climbing and weather are always part of the picture. Has anyone tried Kuiu or Sitka gears new clothes? I'm not sure which one to get.

I still use my sitka but as of now all of the new stuff I am buying and my go to gear has not switched to Kuiu.... I love it and they camo pattern is better for the areas I hunt..

You wont be disappointed

Chris

I have some of both but have been leaning more toward Kuiu for my dedicated back country items. I find them to be lighter, simpler, and very functional. For day hunts the Sitka gear is very nice. But when I'm wearing the same set of clothes for a week or more, I want the very best:)

I have the guide jacket and use it a lot when hunting for the day. I find I'm not using a softshell much when backpacking anymore. I prefer to just use a 1/4 zip shirt, primaloft or down vest/jacket and my breathable rain jacket. So I leave the softshell at home. This is at moderate temperatures down to freezing.

I hunt next to the park and have seen -15 mainly in the morning leaving camp. Then of course it will hit 50 the next day. So need to cover the range

Kuiu...it will meet all your needs...I made the switch and havent look back...product is designed for the extreme and holds well. The pants are my fav part and they way the fit...I am sick and tired of all these long crotch grandpa style fit pants ( no offense to the grand pa's :) )and Jason is always looking to make the product better.

I was skeptical about his products in the mountains back country on my Montana hunt...when I flew into Bozeman a blizzard like conditions were moving in...anyway the temps were down in the neg 40s....I used a combo of heavy filson wool and kuiu and it was perfect. In the morning I would layer up in kuiu and then cover it all up with heavy filson wool...ride horses to where I was going to hunt for the day...shed all the heavy filson wool and be down to my kuiu...light nimble and able to cover ground...I would get to sweating and things still kept me warm, wicking properties were excellent..and the zippered vents in jacket were also a plus. The guys hunting with wool would be soaked by the end of day..wool and all, they didnt get cold but had to contend with wet wool all week and it gets heavy. Lets just say they were all planning on buying some kuiu after they saw how mine preformed.

By dark I would be back at the horse meet up and put my filson wool back on for the cold ride back in...in the eve would hang things up near the wood stove and do it again...Being a warm weather fellow from Texas I was impressed cause my biggest fear was how I was going to handle the cold. Kuiu did me well as also the filson.

Now I have plenty of hunts with temps in 15 up to 70's and the kuiu is hands down the product you want there....

I used the eberle blue widow pack and it served me well but the I know now I need a more light weight pack...

I am really looking forward to his new sleeping bag design as well.

Just picked up his new day pack with carbon fiber backing and its the cats meow..cant wait to use it this year.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.