Sitka blacktail Kodiak island larson bay lodge

Farmerbrown32

Hey everybody, im going on a hunt for Sitka blacktail with larson bay lodge the second week of December. And i was wondering if anybody could give me some heads up on what to expect. Like weather conditions, shot opportunities all that good stuff. Sounds like mainly hunting out of a boat and hunting shorelines. But if that dont work id like to do some hiking. I have good rain gear and warm boots and it sounds like thats the main things to worry about. For rifle i have 2 good options, 1 is a 12:5" 6.5 creedmoor pistol shooting the 87g absolute hammer at 2730 and 2 is a kimber mtn ascent in 280ai shootin the 140 absolute hammer at 3400 fps. Have a custom 7ss in the works and was really hoping to take it but it may not be done in time. Also wondering if i will have some opportunities for longer shots past 4-600 yards? Any help or info would greatly be appreciated!

It's been a very cold winter down there!.....and up here!......LaNina creates havoc out in the chain.....

I'd certainly take the Kimber and remember they are stainLESS not stainPROOF.....minor saltwater corrosion can occur.

If interested, ask the lodge if you can take a couple fox. They are usually numerous, large and great furs. The lodge probably has a 22LR or 17HMR for that purpose.

After you eat Sitka Blacktail, you'll have a difficult time eating ND whitetail.

Awesome. Thankyou for your info! I have been seeing alot of info on all the fox down there. Definitely gonna try and get a few of them to! Im definitely not going to try and call one in though haha. Too big of a chicken.

Great hunt, you'll eat like a king. I went the same week you did years ago. Most of our hunting was from the boat as the deer would come down to the beach to eat kelp. Good layering system and rain gear is a must, can be very wet. Goretex insulated gloves would be a great idea for glassing from the boat in the cold air. A pair of Bogs or rubber boots would be worth bringing while your on the boat and getting on/off boat at the beach then put on your good boots. All that saltwater can wreak havok on a good pair of leather boots. If your a bird hunter you have to atleast shoot a couple Harlequins and Longtails, gorgeous birds and make beautiful mounts! As Vern stated you'll def want to shoot a couple foxes and borrow a 17, the foxes are the size of our coyotes and beautiful, I shot a nice silver fox and my 270 pretty much cut him in half... Buy atleast 2 deer tags, kill the first decent buck you see then trophy hunt. Good luck, it's an amazing experience and take a good camera and take lots of pictures!

Hell ya! Now thats what i was looking for! Yes i am bringing my shotgun also! Hope to get a few ducks for sure! Thankyou very much! Really excited for this trip. Have wanted to go to ak my whole life.

Im shooting the 140 absolute hammer so im hoping it will just poke through a fox and not blow him apart too bad. But if they have a 17 i can borrow i will try to use that.

I never hunted the islands for blacktails. Tried to plan for a hunt with buddies one year, but work and family obligations got in the way. My buddies still went and had a ball. Dress for wind and rain and as Wyfox said, salt water boots.

Last edited:
Never had thought about the effects of saltwater on boots. I have some kuiu scarpa boots but they are non insulated so im afraid they wouldn't be warm enough. I ordered some of the meindle kibo gtx hunters for this trip.

When I lived in Alaska, most of the hunting was done in insulated hip boots. Planes dropped you on rivers or lakes. If hunting from 4 wheelers and then on foot from there, most people still wore hip boots. I moved to Wyoming in 1995, because my wife wanted warmer winters. I have to say that I am a bit jealous of you. I know you will have a blast and make great memories.