Site has peaked my interest

Thanks for all the information this site has provided me ! From what I read it is a very friendly competitive sport. I kind of lump it together with golf and fishing, both of which are relaxing and are both at the same spectrum for expense and time required to become the best as possible. This sport however, has a handicap for the quality of the equipment required to achieve desirable personal satisfactory results ! It appears that I will probably be spending a little (lots) of money in the the future as I venture into LRH. Only question is how much will it take and how long will it take to understand the rules, jargon and synonyms to be effective and consistent in the future. Who knows where the rabbit hole ends !
Whoa...............you dare to lump "golfing and fishing" into a sentence with long-range hunting and reloading!!! Whoa.................;):):eek:😂 As for the rabbit hole, it is like a never ending adventure. Just when you think you have it all or have all of the correct processes down, you'll run into something that you just cannot figure out and you will end up on here with a thread. In that thread you will probably read about another piece of equipment, that you don't have, or another process that will make your reloads or shooting abilities that much better and easier; and....that means more money down the tubes. As for the synonyms and the jargon that's really not a big deal, and even if you don't have it right or totally correct there's always someone on the forum who can help you out. As for golf I cannot make any comparison/s; however.....when it comes to fishing I can tell you that sport can get very expensive very quickly, JUST LIKE RELOADING AND LONG RANGE SHOOTING/HUNTING.

Welcome from TN. I own and have built quite a few high end rifles. However, I can tell you with confidence that you don't need to spend a fortune and have top shelf gear to have a really good time and get really good at the long range game.

I might be wrong on the exact metrics but I would say that from an equipment perspective, the ratio of cost to improvement on group sizes gets much higher on the cost side much faster than the group sizes shrink. Meaning to say that spending double doesn't cut your groups in half. It isn't that hard to.get a factory savage (just an example) to shoot 3/4 moa. $500 rifle, $500 scope, good ammo, decent technique.....Walla! If you want to cut those groups in half via equipment upgrade, there really aren't any guarantees that spending double, or even triple will get you that.
I still get a charge out making inexpensive, lightweight, pencil barrel rifles shoot long.
Recently, I coached a young lad on some very purposeful, utilitarian (and downright ugly looking) modifications to his $300 ruger American 6.5 CM.
We reduced the trigger weight as much as the factory trigger would allow, we installed a clamp on muzzlebrake ($80), we took the Styrofoam out of the inside of the Tupperware stock and filled the stock with .177" copper coated lead BBs (added 4.5 lbs to rifle), and bought a $30 stock pack to add height to the cheek piece on the stock.
Then we bought the only available powder and bullets available that day at the local gun shop, and I helped him load a very middle of the road cartridge combo.
Net result.....5/8 moa, shooter can see his own impacts and misses, recoil is minimal, and he made first round impacts out to 500 yds.

This kid is hooked!

Welcome from Oklahoma. If you are looking for a long range rig and don't currently reload, choose a caliber that has readily available box ammo that is high quality and affordable. The price of Weatherby ammo would make it very costly to have fun. If this is a gun that will be mostly for shooting steel, I would suggest a little smaller caliber to make it a little more fun to shoot. Keep in mind that hot rods are fun but burn barrels pretty quickly. I would suggest that you spend as much as you can afford on whatever you buy. If you don't have a lot to spend, start with a good action and a good barrel in a decent stock with a decent trigger. Make sure the barrel is threaded for a brake. You might not want one, but you could change your mind later. If you are handy at all, watch a few YouTube videos, bed your action. There are a lot of decent scopes out there in the $1,000 ish range that are reliable and track well. Don't try and save money on rings and bases, get good ones and be done with it. Down the road, save up a little money and upgrade the trigger when you can afford it. Swap to a stock you love when you can afford that….. If money is not an object, spend $8,000-$10,000, buy a super nice rig forget about all the hassles of shopping for parts and comparing everything and have fun shooting.
😆

Welcome from Montana and enjoy the rabbit hole.I have been reloading since 1967 and thought I was good at it until I came to this site.
I learned enough to cut my groups in half by precision reloading instead of mass reloading.More is not always better.
Read all the threads that apply to you and as Bassassassin104 said do what you can when you can.
This rabbit hole gets deep brother but I would not leave it for anything.

Thanks for all the information this site has provided me ! From what I read it is a very friendly competitive sport. I kind of lump it together with golf and fishing, both of which are relaxing and are both at the same spectrum for expense and time required to become the best as possible. This sport however, has a handicap for the quality of the equipment required to achieve desirable personal satisfactory results ! It appears that I will probably be spending a little (lots) of money in the the future as I venture into LRH. Only question is how much will it take and how long will it take to understand the rules, jargon and synonyms to be effective and consistent in the future. Who knows where the rabbit hole ends !
Greetings from the Big Sky Country! Welcome to LRH and enjoy it! LRH does not happen overnight; take your time and enjoy the learning process.

Ed

Thanks for all the replies , very helpful ! Everything is very helpful. I have no idea why I lumped golf in with my opening comment, but I do like the idea of hitting the ball with a club and chasing it with a .17 HMR in some convoluted way . I am sure I will have 2 or more questions in the future. At the present time I have a coupled of rifles in mind to "Top,Chop, Channel and Lower ". And so it it begins !

Welcome from TN. I own and have built quite a few high end rifles. However, I can tell you with confidence that you don't need to spend a fortune and have top shelf gear to have a really good time and get really good at the long range game.

I might be wrong on the exact metrics but I would say that from an equipment perspective, the ratio of cost to improvement on group sizes gets much higher on the cost side much faster than the group sizes shrink. Meaning to say that spending double doesn't cut your groups in half. It isn't that hard to.get a factory savage (just an example) to shoot 3/4 moa. $500 rifle, $500 scope, good ammo, decent technique.....Walla! If you want to cut those groups in half via equipment upgrade, there really aren't any guarantees that spending double, or even triple will get you that.
I still get a charge out making inexpensive, lightweight, pencil barrel rifles shoot long.
Recently, I coached a young lad on some very purposeful, utilitarian (and downright ugly looking) modifications to his $300 ruger American 6.5 CM.
We reduced the trigger weight as much as the factory trigger would allow, we installed a clamp on muzzlebrake ($80), we took the Styrofoam out of the inside of the Tupperware stock and filled the stock with .177" copper coated lead BBs (added 4.5 lbs to rifle), and bought a $30 stock pack to add height to the cheek piece on the stock.
Then we bought the only available powder and bullets available that day at the local gun shop, and I helped him load a very middle of the road cartridge combo.
Net result.....5/8 moa, shooter can see his own impacts and misses, recoil is minimal, and he made first round impacts out to 500 yds.

This kid is hooked!
Nice post , people need to see that the sport / hobby doesn't have to break the bank.
The more people who can afford to get started the better.
Thanks