Site has peaked my interest

Thanks for all the information this site has provided me ! From what I read it is a very friendly competitive sport. I kind of lump it together with golf and fishing, both of which are relaxing and are both at the same spectrum for expense and time required to become the best as possible. This sport however, has a handicap for the quality of the equipment required to achieve desirable personal satisfactory results ! It appears that I will probably be spending a little (lots) of money in the the future as I venture into LRH. Only question is how much will it take and how long will it take to understand the rules, jargon and synonyms to be effective and consistent in the future. Who knows where the rabbit hole ends !

Thanks from Texas ! Should I start with a basic off the shelf rifle and modify and upgrade the optics ! I currently own hunting rifles and don't have a problem with shots just inside of 400 yards. I know I could upgrade optics for better performance but have not done so. I do know that the optics in scopes are far better than in the past and also have decreased in price for what you get now days comparatively speaking. I have looked at Athlon, Vortex and of course Zeiss, Leupold and Burris. What a plethora of differences etc.... I currently own basic go to calibers from .243 to .300 Weatherby mag. in everything from Savage and Mossberg to Sako manufacturers. I am currently looking to go with a 6.5-.300 Weatherby Mag. Any opinions on this option, I eventually want to go into hand loading in the near future.

Welcome from Oklahoma. If you are looking for a long range rig and don't currently reload, choose a caliber that has readily available box ammo that is high quality and affordable. The price of Weatherby ammo would make it very costly to have fun. If this is a gun that will be mostly for shooting steel, I would suggest a little smaller caliber to make it a little more fun to shoot. Keep in mind that hot rods are fun but burn barrels pretty quickly. I would suggest that you spend as much as you can afford on whatever you buy. If you don't have a lot to spend, start with a good action and a good barrel in a decent stock with a decent trigger. Make sure the barrel is threaded for a brake. You might not want one, but you could change your mind later. If you are handy at all, watch a few YouTube videos, bed your action. There are a lot of decent scopes out there in the $1,000 ish range that are reliable and track well. Don't try and save money on rings and bases, get good ones and be done with it. Down the road, save up a little money and upgrade the trigger when you can afford it. Swap to a stock you love when you can afford that….. If money is not an object, spend $8,000-$10,000, buy a super nice rig forget about all the hassles of shopping for parts and comparing everything and have fun shooting.

Last edited: